The Ultimate Football Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
PFA Player of the Year: Thierry Henry (all in wide agreement I assume).
PFA Young Player of the Year: Scott Parker (not Terry or Toure?!)

Your thoughts?
Terry should have won, he has been as a rock in some very turbulent storms.
Kuz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by slim786)
What manager would want a job where if your successful its expected but if u only do good your sacked.
So true, exactly that! Chelsea are absolutley nuts in that respect
kurt44
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by XTinaA)
I bet £2 on Chelsea winning it as soon as Makelele signed, at odds of 14-1, so I still stand to return £30...

dont worry they wont win it.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
ehh wahts happening? letting forsell to have another month at birmingham? :confused:...when we need him for next season? Is this a sign that Chelsea will buy another striker in the summer?
HasanB
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
Nobody would be surprised if they did. Roman might even buy an entire new squad...
lol thatd be quite funny !
HasanB
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I can see him buying 5 or 6 new players anyway. The man has more money than sense, no idea about continuity and developing a team to become greater than the sum of its players.... oops here come the Russian mafia!
yeah true, chelsea needed new players, but you cant just chop and change all the time. When chelsea were on a winning run some time ago he said that chelsea had Russian grit and determination, lol, he should at least know that its an english club! ranieris definately gone though i think ...
mc_watson87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by HasanB)
yeah true, chelsea needed new players, but you cant just chop and change all the time. When chelsea were on a winning run some time ago he said that chelsea had Russian grit and determination, lol, he should at least know that its an english club! ranieris definately gone though i think ...
If he wins European cup and comes 2nd in prem he will stay (this is what he has been told). If not he will go. I don't think Chelsea can improve anywhere that much. I think they need a good consistent right midfielder, but i think the've got everywhere else pretty much sorted.
HasanB
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mc_watson87)
If he wins European cup and comes 2nd in prem he will stay (this is what he has been told). If not he will go. I don't think Chelsea can improve anywhere that much. I think they need a good consistent right midfielder, but i think the've got everywhere else pretty much sorted.
Theyll probably get 2nd in the premier league, but theyll need to overturn a 3-1 deficit against monaco i know that only means a 2-0 win at home at least but its not that easy monaco are doing well. I doubt very much that chelsea well win the champs league. Depor are faves atm but my money is on porto.
mc_watson87
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Sorted yes but only in a way, most of their players fall slightly short of the quality of Arsenal's.
I disagree with that. I think in general Chelsea's players are just as good as Arsenals.

For Champions league, all my money is on Monaco. (Not really all, about £20)
Baron Huntroyde
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Vieira + 1 other is better than any pairing Chelsea can muster
Probably true, but Lampard can be amazing

Not sure about wide right, Parlour isn't too great but I don't rate Gronjaer much
But Ljumberg is definately superior to Gronkjaer.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Fabien Barthez has signed a permanent deal with Marseille. We'd earlier announced we'd release him so now he's gone.

Jens Lehmann, despite so far being ever-present, fears for his future at Arsenal. And so he should!

Ole Solksjaer is ignoring advice from the Norway team doctor who believes he needs another knee operation. Now this worries me. But Ole believes he's fit. Hope this doesn't turn tragic.

Spurs have ditched Stephane Dalmat, ending his loan spell. But Mikael Forsell's stay at St Andrews is extended by a season, and all parties like the deal.

Vincent Kompany, Anderlecht defender, could be off to Chelsea, the clubs are holding talks. I know I've heard the name bandied around, perhaps he's another youngster Ranieri wants to build from.

Arsene Wenger says he will only add to the Arsenal squad if he finds a "gem". He limits his spending to that one special player. I bet he gets two.

Few things I thought we could mull over.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Here's something from our friendly neighbourhood Sepp Blatter: he wants to get rid of draws from the beautiful game (from today's Metro). He wants all games to have a winner and a loser, claiming that football is about emotions and fans don't want to see draws. He reckons games should be decided by penalty shootout unless someone suggests a better alternative.

I for one am furious. He wants to rob the game of an integral part of its fabric. What is so bad about draws, and how do they rob the game of emotions and entertainment? We get boring wins and entertaining draws all the time, and what about when a draw is a justified result, one team is bound to be robbed. This just fuels my dislike of Blatter.

What's your take on it?
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Sepp Blatter is a bit of a knob really isn't he?

I've got a better solution to teams playing boring draws: give zero points for a draw - that way, everyone will want to try and win in theory...
How about 2 points for a score draw? Or 0 for no-score, 1 for score draw...

Just a suggestion, I think it's perfect as it is.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well yeah most people would agree there's nothing to change I think.

But, come to think of it, 3 draws = 1 win at the mo, is this right? Almost anyone can play for boring draws (e.g. Birmingham), makes a lot of games utterly dire, every game should be at least pretty good with the odd thriller (I wish...)
The teams that play for draws don't get anywhere anyway. I don't think draws have a strong bearing on a team's position or success (in a league competition anyway, two-legged ties are different). If I remember right Wolves have one more draw than Liverpool or Arsenal...
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well I'm talking about from the fans' point of view, we should get to see excitement, not drab nil nils. You have to admit, most games aren't very memorable, in fact most of them are completely boring rubbish!

This is one of the reasons I think footie fans are mad. Why would you want to sit in the cold and pay a fortune to watch Birmingham play every week, when you could watch soom decent footie on the telly?
I don't mind, any one game is not the only source of entertainment a fan can derive from football. A lot of games aren't great I know but that's fine because we remember the thrillers. And I don't see how ending a bad 0-0 with penalties will make that game any better. Plus it would probably widen the gap between big team and little team.
HasanB
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i cant believe it this is very depressing, germany just lost 5-1 to Romania !! oh dear ...
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i cant believe it this is very depressing, germany just lost 5-1 to Romania !! oh dear ...
thats very worrying
HasanB
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
thats very worrying
Indeed and to think we have Holland and the Czech republic in our Euro 2004 grp ... not looking good ... altho the czechs lost to Japan today so maybe its just a weird day but 5-1 ... thats bad.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Indeed and to think we have Holland and the Czech republic in our Euro 2004 grp ... not looking good ... altho the czechs lost to Japan today so maybe its just a weird day but 5-1 ... thats bad.
japan is a good team though...so is romania, but losing 5-1 means something is wrong...what happened there? poor defensing?
HasanB
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
japan is a good team though...so is romania, but losing 5-1 means something is wrong...what happened there? poor defensing?
well in the first half the defence was a shame, they were backing away from players it was crap ... and hence it was 4-0 at half time to romania. It was better in the 2nd half but there wasnt too much in terms of midfield ... an 88th minute consolation goal is all we got from this ... shameful.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (318)
46.22%
No (76)
11.05%
I'm not old enough (294)
42.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise