The Ultimate Football Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Kuz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Raindance)
I think West Brom are just sending feelers out. They've been linked with a lot of strikers, many of which will turn the offer down. £700,000 was their offer for our Neil Mellor, which I'm be happy to take and run. :cool:
£700K is a bit of a p*ss take!
kpg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Kuz)
£700K is a bit of a p*ss take!
Not when you consider he has shown very little above reserve team level.
jamlan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kpg)
Not when you consider he has shown very little above reserve team level.
yeah, i hate to say it (mostly cos of that fantastic goal against Arsenal, and th one against Olympiakos) but he's probably not worth much more. He's been loaned to a couple of smaller clubs and i think he did quite well at them
Rainy
Badges: 14
Report 14 years ago
I wouldn't mind giving Warnock a run in the side next season, if we don't change things around on the left. He's shown promise this season, and had an excellent loan period at Coventry - voted their best player that season. It's time we saw if these 'youth' players like Warnock, Wesh etc are up to the mark. God knows we'll need to, considering the new UEFA directive. :cool:
jamlan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I wouldn't mind giving Warnock a run in the side next season, if we don't change things around on the left. He's shown promise this season, and had an excellent loan period at Coventry - voted their best player that season. It's time we saw if these 'youth' players like Warnock, Wesh etc are up to the mark. God knows we'll need to, considering the new UEFA directive. :cool:
All i can remember from Warnock at the moment is from th Everton game. He was playing really well before he got injured. I'm pretty sure he came on in a Champs League game as well.
Out of Potter, Warnock, Welsh and i'll chuck in Raven too, i think Warnock has th best chance.
Did we sign Carson when he was 19? Does that mean he doesn't count as an academy player, or whatever it is?
oblivious
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sb1986)
Beattie was a BARGAIN for £6m right :rofl:
More of a bargain than the £8m price tag you put on Milan Baros, anyway James Beattie will prove you doubters wrong.
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jamlan)
All i can remember from Warnock at the moment is from th Everton game. He was playing really well before he got injured. I'm pretty sure he came on in a Champs League game as well.
Out of Potter, Warnock, Welsh and i'll chuck in Raven too, i think Warnock has th best chance.
Did we sign Carson when he was 19? Does that mean he doesn't count as an academy player, or whatever it is?
I've seen him play on a few occasions yeh, and I think he's started a few cup games. Defo featured in the CL. But yes, Warnock definitely has the most promise of the current crop. Wouldn't it be nice to have another McManaman/Owen/Gerrard/Carragher?! Unfortunately Carson was 19, so I'm fairly sure we missed out on his classification as an academy player. Doh!

Stevie Mac... these were the days... :rolleyes:
jamlan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Stevie Mac... these were the days... :rolleyes:
Silly red hair. Wonderful golden touch. :cool:
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by oblivious)
More of a bargain than the £8m price tag you put on Milan Baros, anyway James Beattie will prove you doubters wrong.
You reckon? What has Beattie done of late? Ate too much pie, made a lot of money, scored all of 6 goals for you. Baros won the Golden boot in Euro 2004, and scored more goals than any of your players last year. Just to rub it in your face... Baros costed us £3.2m, and we're likely to sell him for at least double that. You've signed a player who's past it, a waste of your precious resources, and you'll get no return from him. Well done Davey Moyes, a good bit of business done there.
oblivious
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You reckon? What has Beattie done of late? Ate too much pie, made a lot of money, scored all of 6 goals for you. Baros won the Golden boot in Euro 2004, and scored more goals than any of your players last year. Just to rub it in your face... Baros costed us £3.2m, and we're likely to sell him for at least double that. You've signed a player who's past it, a waste of your precious resources, and you'll get no return from him. Well done Davey Moyes, a good bit of business done there.
Milan Baros 45 Appearances 13 Goals
Tim Cahill 38 Appearances 12 Goals
Striker vs Midfielder hmm

Davey Moyes has done more good business than your lot.
Ziggy Stardust
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
*Senses a confrontation*

That's it. I will have none of this Beattie bashing whilst I am in attendance. Watch him next season with a strike partner, he'll be scoring for fun. If we don't get Forssell we'll probably get Keane or Bellamy (unfortunately) and they would both compliment Beattie brilliantly.

He's not the kind of striker you can play in a 4-5-1, like we did for most of last season, so I think it's only fair he is given a chunk of next season to prove himself in the 4-4-2 before we **** him off!

Anyway, he's done more than El Moro, he's younger and cost the same!
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
never fear...liverpool will be signing crouch...and tumbling down the table as a result
kpg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

The two cant be compared. Moyes has worked on a tight budget, bought a superb player in Cahill but bought in Beattie who has done **** all (surpising though as I think hes a decent premiership player) in the 6 months he's played. But thats only 6 months and had to contend with injury. Moyes got you to 4th place, well done.

Rafa inherited a crap squad of players and brought in a few of his own faces (though not helped I'm sure that £14m was shelled out on a player by the previous manager, ho hum). Alonso is one of the best players in Europe, as is Morientes who's had trouble settling in like Beattie but atleast has the "excuse" of having to settle into a new league and country. But, like Beattie, hasnt had a consistent run in the side for one reason or another. Garcia has done well with something like 12 goals, excellent for his first season but needs to adapt to the pace of the domestic game better. Nunez was a nothing signing and can hardly be used as a barometer for Rafa's "eye" for a player. Josemi had an excellent start but injury effectivley ended his season at christmas. Pellegrino was brought in for free and has an honours list a lot of players would savour, he wasnt great but if he helped set up the zonal marking system Rafa likes to employ then his job has been done. His contract wont be extended anyway.

So I'm not sure where the "Davey Moyes has done more good business than your lot" comment has much basis but discussions comparing Moyes and Benitez are totally pointless and there's no real basis of proving who is "better" than the other (except Rafa does have 2 la liga titles, a uefa cup and a champions league to his name in the last 5 years alone so I do think he knows what he's doing better than most of us lol).
Rainy
Report 14 years ago

And yet Gerrard's also scored more than Cahill, albeit in 3 more starts. And I reckon Olympiacos, AC Milan et al are a sterner test than the premiership mediocricies. In fact, let's have another look at your wonderful striker goal-rate: Bent (7), Tampon (6), Beattie (5). Impressive. How can you deny that Garcia, Morientes and Alonso are quality players? Josemi did his job filling in at RB, and Nunez isn't a bad player. In fact, Kewell aside, he's our only natural winger.

I don't deny that Moyes has done wonders with what he has, and I want you to succeed and become a top club again. Obviously with less success than us. Moyes is definitely resourceful yes, and he inspires the team. Benitez, on the other hand, is one of the best tacticians in Europe. Look at his record: La Liga Champion & UEFA Cup winner with Valencia, Champions League Winner with Liverpool. All in consecutive seasons.

How Evertonians can claim they've become the senior club in Merseyside is beyond me. You finished 3 points above us, in 18 less games. You won absolutely nothing, whereas we are European Champions. Everton have had a 'great' season by their standards, whereas Liverpool have been noticeably poor.
kpg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
He's not the kind of striker you can play in a 4-5-1,
Which begs the question why Moyes bought him last january then? IMO, Keane and Bellamy are better strikers, they'll improve your team definitley but I'm not sure Bellamy's ****ty attitude would be welcome at a team like everton.

Anyway, he's done more than El Moro, he's younger and cost the same
When Jamie Beattie has played in 4 european cup finals, give us a shout eh
oblivious
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
. And I reckon Olympiacos, AC Milan et al are a sterner test than the premiership mediocricies.
premiership is mediocre when its the best league in the world?
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
:goodnight
(Original post by afireinside©)
*Senses a confrontation*

That's it. I will have none of this Beattie bashing whilst I am in attendance. Watch him next season with a strike partner, he'll be scoring for fun. If we don't get Forssell we'll probably get Keane or Bellamy (unfortunately) and they would both compliment Beattie brilliantly.

He's not the kind of striker you can play in a 4-5-1, like we did for most of last season, so I think it's only fair he is given a chunk of next season to prove himself in the 4-4-2 before we **** him off!

Anyway, he's done more than El Moro, he's younger and cost the same!
Well, you gave it your best shot. *gives Dan a star sticker*

Anyway, I'm off to bed. Night all, and play nicely. :goodnight
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
That's not what I said. The gist is that West Brom, Portsmouth etc are incomparable to Milan, Juve, Olypiacos etc.
jamlan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No, but there are mediocre teams in it. As with any league
jamlan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ol/4077300.stm
Result
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (261)
48.24%
No (60)
11.09%
I'm not old enough (220)
40.67%

Watched Threads