The Ultimate Football Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Rainy
Badges: 14
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mc_watson87)
But surely that's worse than Everton then who were in the prem =o and jus be 4 were caining ass in the late 80s.
Keep up Mikey, Division 1 became the Premier League in 1992/93.
oblivious
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kpg)
What have Everton won recently more than Newcastle? 1 fa cup and one qualification for europe amidst relegation scrap after scrap. Congratulations. Give yerselves a parade and all that. Given Newcastle's finances, better stadium, better coaching facilities (probably) and improved chances of signing better players, LONG term he's probably made the right move but time will tell. Just qualifing for the CL doesnt make you all that. No better than Newcastle, Villa, Man City, Spurs etc.
More FA cups than Newcastle have done in the last 50 years that's for sure
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mc_watson87)
And in the late 80s Everton were caining ass!
You mean 2 League titles, 1 FA Cup, the ECWC, and a few Charity Shields? It's defo a good achievement, but hardly dominating.
kpg
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by oblivious)
More FA cups than Newcastle have done in the last 50 years that's for sure
wahey. The league titles Everton won in the 80s dont count for anything anymore, unfortunately. They were nullified by years of mediocrity in the 90s and several fights against relegation. Just like Villa's european cup wont be able to attract them any better players. If they'd done something with it and not been so crap for so many years after it then maybe but they didn't.

The success Liverpool, Man united and probably Arsenal have had will stand them in good stead for several years to come.
durhamlad1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i must have misheard parker at the end of his interview, im sure i heard him say ' newcastle definitely has a lot going for itself' so that would mean
: Players of the team involved in rape allegations
: players fighting during a match
: a clueless manager, miles out of depth
: a finished striker who will play to bag penalties, to beat a goal scoring record
: season ticket holder numbers dropped........are all postives then eh scott?

If he wants to be successful he's better of joining airbus united in the welsh premier.
oblivious
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kpg)
wahey. The league titles Everton won in the 80s dont count for anything anymore, unfortunately. They were nullified by years of mediocrity in the 90s and several fights against relegation. Just like Villa's european cup wont be able to attract them any better players. If they'd done something with it and not been so crap for so many years after it then maybe but they didn't.

The success Liverpool, Man united and probably Arsenal have had will stand them in good stead for several years to come.
sure thats true but with a transfer like Scott Parker's that wouldn't be applicable, if Everton had offered Parker what Newcastle offered him in wages I think he would be ours right now.
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by durhamlad1)
: a clueless manager, miles out of depth
If you mean Souness, he's won more than Moyes! :rofl:

As a manager, and a player.
goldenbarnes
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Raindance)
Keep up Mikey, Division 1 became the Premier League in 1992/93.
But there was still a Division One......which was what Newcastle won.
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by goldenbarnes)
But there was still a Division One......which was what Newcastle won.
Which is what I said? :confused:
oblivious
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If you mean Souness, he's won more than Moyes! :rofl:

As a manager, and a player.
Souness has had countless number of jobs and has been a manager longer than Moyes. Why does it matter as a player? he's won more than Mourinho has as a player i'm sure he must be better.
goldenbarnes
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Which is what I said? :confused:
Mikey said Everton were in the Prem in 1992/93 while Newcastle won the first division. Which he argued (quite rightly) was better for Everton.

You then said: "Keep up Mikey, Division 1 became the Premier League in 1992/93."

:confused:
kpg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by oblivious)
sure thats true but with a transfer like Scott Parker's that wouldn't be applicable, if Everton had offered Parker what Newcastle offered him in wages I think he would be ours right now.
I do agree on that, just talking in general terms and how just because Newcastle are 14th and Everton 4th last year doesnt automatically mean he's wrong to choose Newcastle on the basis that they'll win **** all (well they will probably win **** all with Souness in charge )
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
Ughh, yeh... I'm tying myself up in knots here! 'twas the scum who won it in 1992/3 - how on earth did that I forget that...? :p:
kpg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
scum? mancs? :confused:

No point referring to United as scum. The real scum are the s*n
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kpg)
scum? mancs? :confused:

No point referring to United as scum. The real scum are the s*n
Meh, 'the scum' is a general term. Generally incorporating the mancs, the sun and everton. Hate the sun with a passion. :mad:
fernando
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
LOL. I have just watched an interview with Joe Cole on Chelsea TV and he was talking about Robben and I quote:

He is left footed and plays on the left.

Duh??!!! Does this make anyone else think, what an idiot!!??
yea but when it was duff and robben - one of them had to play on the right but now cole has come through - chelsea normally put cole on the right + a striker and now duff/robben on left
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm right footed but played on the left wing....
sb1986
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Why do the Gaurdian think they have inside info on how much we have to spend this season? They say £25m, which is apparently not enough, and thus we are thinking of selling Gerrard. What a load of rubbish.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_...html?gusrc=rss

Just read another article: "The Liverpool manager is finding it difficult to make any headway as he plans an overhaul of his side in time for the new season, with his transfer kitty of around £20million allowing little room for manouervre."

I was thinking atleast £35m, but then again im guessing myself.
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sb1986)
Why do the Gaurdian think they have inside info on how much we have to spend this season? They say £25m, which is apparently not enough, and thus we are thinking of selling Gerrard. What a load of rubbish.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_...html?gusrc=rss
We need no more than £25m for this coming season anyway. Batter the Saints down on Crouch, keep the CD cost low, and we'll still have enough left for a decent winger.
oblivious
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
what happened to the joaquin rumours, my mate kept saying you'd be getting him for £10million :rofl:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (84)
33.6%
No I don't (118)
47.2%
I work during the holidays (48)
19.2%

Watched Threads