The Student Room Group

I've never worked a day in my life,would I struggle in a typical 9 to 5 job?

So I'm 21 years old in my final year. I am absolutely dreading work. I've never worked in my life. This sounds stupid but how is a job like compared to going to university is it stressful? The thought of going to a job every single day and spending there for 8 hours is like death for me.
Reply 1
At first you will struggle. I hadn't worked a lot and I did. Even those who have worked part-time around uni struggle when they go full-time and the distractions of lectures, socials, lie-ins, variable shift patterns, etc. are gone, so you won't be alone. It's just the blunt fact of spending more of your waking hours at work than you do not at work. Especially in the winter it can feel like you never see daylight. I have a bird table that in winter I only see in daylight on Saturdays and Sundays so I literally have to wait for the weekend to see birds.

I know that sounds really depressing but it's all about attitude. The best solution if you have to work most of your life is to enjoy that work and then it becomes your fun rather than feeling like you're either working or having fun and the two are mutually exclusive. That doesn't mean you need to find your dream job because hardly anybody does, it just means whatever you do end up doing, try and find enjoyment in it. Good colleagues, funny moments, rewarding moments, etc.
bump
Reply 3
It depends on how much you like your job and what it involves. If you don't like it and you spend all your time at a desk, it will be really boring! Find something you like doing and you'll be fine.
bump
Reply 5
It'll probably be a bit scary and strange for the first few days, but you'll settle in sooner than you think. If you start disliking the job, don't leave until you find something better. Good luck!
I think it sounds much better tbh...I have always worked part time but mostly full time in the summer. It depends if you like structure. Having a 9-5 job, going home and not taking anything home with you (depending on the type of job ofc) and having weekends off sounds so much better than randomly placed lectures through the week, having a day or two off mucking up your sleeping pattern and having to study at weekends. And as others have said, depends if you like your job or not. I'd imagine if you don't, it would be hell.
It depends completely on your job, I graduated last summer and work full time in retail. This isn't 9-5, it is variable shifts, sometimes I get weekends off sometimes I get week days off. Sometimes I start at 7 sometimes half 11 0r 12. Sometimes I finish at 4, 5,6 or sometimes 9. It adds a bit of variety to your working week. However now I have just landed a role as an overseas representative with a large travel company and this is something totally opposite to 9-5. Hours are spread out, it's sunny. There is one thing that all kinds of jobs have in common though and that is that you've got to work hard ! Sometimes you just have to stick to a job as a necessity, and not one that you particularly like, not everyone can walk into their dream job straight after graduation (IF ONLY) and even when you do land your dream job, it still involves hard work. Compared to uni it is hard, yes, you are out of that uni bubble and into the real world ! After a week or two you should have gotten yourself into a routine, which makes it easier. Although, with all due respect, at 21 and with no work references where are you thinking of applying to ?
good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending