Interested in lecture based teaching with early clinical work

Watch
JakeDaw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, I am hoping to apply for medicine in October and struggling to narrow down the Uni's which I want to go visit for open days. The teaching style I am looking for is one that is lecture based (not PBL) and also has clinical work within the first year. Would anybody with more knowledge be able to list off the Uni's that have this teaching style. Any personal recommendations would also be good. Thanks
Chwirkytheappleboy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
To be honest I'm not aware of any medical schools that really do proper clinical work in the first couple of years. A lot of medical schools are aware that students want this, so these days most of them tend to advertise things like "patient contact from day 1" and "early clinical work" but in reality what this boils down to is a few token GP and hospital ward visits scattered throughout the year, which have no real value since you have no idea how to take a proper history, do an examination, or perform any procedures. I don't think it's really worth paying much attention to any claims of clinical work within the preclinical years... you'll only be disappointed.
jm4425
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm pretty sure QUB have the earliest clinical contact out of the UK medical schools (just something that was said at a careers event)
LCM2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi I'm at Leeds and my course sounds like that. We have lectures every day with weekly smaller group sessions (still a lecturer teaching with a powerpoint) to consolidate info learned in the week. I can't really think of any PBL that is on the course.
We start clinicals first year, which is once a week and the same in second year, rotating between hospitals and practices. In 3rd year we start clinicals
xXxBaby-BooxXx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy)
To be honest I'm not aware of any medical schools that really do proper clinical work in the first couple of years. A lot of medical schools are aware that students want this, so these days most of them tend to advertise things like "patient contact from day 1" and "early clinical work" but in reality what this boils down to is a few token GP and hospital ward visits scattered throughout the year, which have no real value since you have no idea how to take a proper history, do an examination, or perform any procedures. I don't think it's really worth paying much attention to any claims of clinical work within the preclinical years... you'll only be disappointed.
UEA do proper clinical work from year one. We spend 4 weeks at a time at the hospital and this starts in module one, where you have been taught how do a basic history and observations. By module two (also year one) you can do IM and S/C injections and examine all the joints. Year two you can then take blood, do cardio and resp exams etc. It definitely has proper clinical work early on.
Chwirkytheappleboy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
UEA do proper clinical work from year one. We spend 4 weeks at a time at the hospital and this starts in module one, where you have been taught how do a basic history and observations. By module two (also year one) you can do IM and S/C injections and examine all the joints. Year two you can then take blood, do cardio and resp exams etc. It definitely has proper clinical work early on.
Well you learn something new every day

I take back what I said
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (94)
13.78%
I'm not sure (32)
4.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.38%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.35%
I'm not a current university student (326)
47.8%

Watched Threads