The Student Room Group

OCR Biology A Level

Hi. I'm doing OCR AS Biology, and am completely struggling with making notes. I've been told that to get an A I need to use about 5 books which I've bought. However they all contradict each other and trying to include everything is really stressing me out. I desperately need this A in Biology as I believe I can get an A in Chemistry, Maths and Business, but in Biology I'm really really struggling notes wise. I was wondering if there's anyone here who got an A in their AS Biology (OCR) and would most kindly send me the exact notes they used. You don't understand how much you will help me! Please guys, I really need help!
Reply 1
I got a B at AS but just down to not revising at all! However I am retaking and getting high As in mocks. I just use the proper Heinemann AS biology text book and I find it has everything necessary, including key words and definitions, plus loads of detail which is necessary for an A. There is also an AS revision guide (green, thin book) which can be good to start with if you're struggling to understand complex ideas, but it doesn't have the level of detail necessary to get an A alone .

I would recommend making notes from the full Heinemann text book, then afterwards have a quick read through of the revision guide to check anything you've missed :smile:
Reply 2
Use the past paper mark schemes. The worst thing about it is how specific they are at looking for words and phrases. You'll never get full marks on a question even if you explain it sufficiently/well without certain words in there. You'll see patterns over the years with what they're looking for with certain questions.

If in doubt with contradictions: always use the exam board endorsed book.

Quick Reply

Latest