Can A School Do This to A Pupil...? Watch

The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
At my school, the head teacher just expelled a Sixth Form student for tweeting something about their staff. Even though the student's twitter profile was on private. They tweeted "I ****ing hate [insert name here], the ****ing lezza." They got their hands on this tweet, because someone following that person took a picture and sent it to the head teacher... (Does this sound like harassment, a vendetta, bullying perhaps?)

So the head teacher said the tweet was "abusive." That the student "had no morals" and said "and you want to become a teacher(?) ppfft!"

Does the head teacher have a right to breach this terms of service privacy of the tweeter and spit such venom on the student? Not forgetting freedom of speech act?
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Moving to Secondary School.

Please remember that Educational Debate is for discussion and debate about current issues and educational news.

(Original post by Cool_JordH)
Not forgetting freedom of speech act?
Fortunately "freedom of speech" (if it even exists) does not allow for abusing another person, particularly homophobic abuse.

The head is protecting her member of staff.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by River85)
Moving to Secondary School.

Please remember that Educational Debate is for discussion and debate about current issues and educational news.

Fortunately "freedom of speech" (if it even exists) does not allow for abusing another person, particularly homophobic abuse.

The head is protecting her member of staff.
Freedom of speech, deformation Act. How would it be a homophobic abuse if that student were a homosexual themselves?

Protecting her against what?
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think they can? :dontknow: someone at my school made an account dedicated to tweeting about teachers and whilst they didn't get expelled, they did get suspended. It's a bit silly to think you'll get away with it, especially as you'll get students who will tell the teachers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Miel Purple
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh well, he shouldn't have done that..
A Mysterious Lord
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Freedom of speech does not extend to homophobic abuse.
abdulahi
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
At my school, the head teacher just expelled a Sixth Form student for tweeting something about their staff. Even though the student's twitter profile was on private. They tweeted "I ****ing hate [insert name here], the ****ing lezza." They got their hands on this tweet, because someone following that person took a picture and sent it to the head teacher... (Does this sound like harassment, a vendetta, bullying perhaps?)

So the head teacher said the tweet was "abusive." That the student "had no morals" and said "and you want to become a teacher(?) ppfft!"

Does the head teacher have a right to breach this terms of service privacy of the tweeter and spit such venom on the student? Not forgetting freedom of speech act?

I dont think thats a valid reason to expel a student
someone at my former school recorded one of the teachers and started taking the piss out of her the school saw the video, made here delete it and kicked her out for 2 weeks.
abdulahi
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

I dont think thats a valid reason to expel a student.
someone at my former school recorded one of the teachers and started taking the piss out of her the school saw the video, made here delete it and kicked her out for 2 weeks.
futuredoctorVSB
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well dude, come on! Disrepecting a teacher like that, obviously goes against the rules of the institution, and as a result they have every right to expell the student. Having said that, I don't think he/she should have been expelled, because to me this sort of thing happens all the time, there needs to be more tolerance. In terms of privacy, that argument is just plain invalid. A tweet is for the public, and school officials are part of the public. People get arrested using things they post on facebook etc, why can't we apply the same principle here? But again, I think it's not as serious as they make it out to be. Suspension, yes; Expulsion, a bit far, especially if the person hasn't been reprimanded before
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by arson_fire)
I`m not an expert but i`m pretty sure you dont have an expectation of privacy when you post stuff online
No, there is if your twitter account is protected (private account).
River85
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Freedom of speech, deformation Act.
:laugh: Really not sure if serious.

And what "terms of service privacy of the tweeter" are you referring to? If you're talking terms of service then perhaps you ought to consider what Twitter say about abuse? Moreoever, as far as I can tell Twitter did not disclose the personal identity of the user.

How would it be a homophobic abuse if that student were a homosexual themselves?
Homophobic abuse can still come from a person who identifies as LGBT themselves. Besides, whether homophobic or not, abuse is still abuse.

The school would have probably been within their rights to contact the place, have the IP address traced, and charges made.

A teacher has a right to work in as stress free an environment as possible and not be the victim of such pathetic, childish, and potentially damaging abuse.
Steevee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You have to sign a code of conduct for most non-compulsory education, I imagine this broke the school's required code of conduct so they are within their rights to expel the student.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by futuredoctorVSB)
Well dude, come on! Disrepecting a teacher like that, obviously goes against the rules of the institution, and as a result they have every right to expell the student. Having said that, I don't think he/she should have been expelled, because to me this sort of thing happens all the time, there needs to be more tolerance. In terms of privacy, that argument is just plain invalid. A tweet is for the public, and school officials are part of the public. People get arrested using things they post on facebook etc, why can't we apply the same principle here? But again, I think it's not as serious as they make it out to be. Suspension, yes; Expulsion, a bit far, especially if the person hasn't been reprimanded before
But the argument isn't invalid since this person's twitter was on private? Then again, someone did show the head teacher. However, an incident did happen last week where this person got into trouble for making an "indirect tweet" about a student. However, since it was indirect, it could be argued it wasn't about that student. But anyway, if it is a private account then surely they don't have a right to read that tweet since it was done in confidence - not intending to be shown by nobody but that person's followers?
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by arson_fire)
Pretty sure its not. There was a case recently at an employment tribunal and IIRC facebook messages were used as evidence in a disciplinary hearing and the employee went to the tribunal on the basis that they were private and lost. I`ll see if i can find the email.
I don't know if this is true, but isn't the private setting on Facebook differ from Twitter?
Autistic Merit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd imagine an appeal would be able to reduce it to a fixed-term exclusion unless this represents persistent poor behaviour from this student. Has the student been excluded a lot of times before?
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by River85)
:laugh: Really not sure if serious.

And what "terms of service privacy of the tweeter" are you referring to? If you're talking terms of service then perhaps you ought to consider what Twitter say about abuse? Moreoever, as far as I can tell Twitter did not disclose the personal identity of the user.

Homophobic abuse can still come from a person who identifies as LGBT themselves. Besides, whether homophobic or not, abuse is still abuse.

The school would have probably been within their rights to contact the place, have the IP address traced, and charges made.

A teacher has a right to work in as stress free an environment as possible and not be the victim of such pathetic, childish, and potentially damaging abuse.
Defamation Act 2013: Honest Opinion.

From Twitter:

• Targeted Abuse: You may not engage in targeted abuse or harassment. Some of the factors that we take into account when determining what conduct is considered to be targeted abuse or harassment are:
    • if you are sending messages to a user from multiple accounts;
    • if the sole purpose of your account is to send abusive messages to others;
    • if the reported behavior is one-sided or includes threats

I don't think it's within the school's right - a form of harassment perhaps?

And they are not a victim of anything that they do not know of.
matt_g96
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
sounds like the kid was just venting his ideas on twitter.

that's a brutal punishment
suedonim
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
But the argument isn't invalid since this person's twitter was on private? Then again, someone did show the head teacher. However, an incident did happen last week where this person got into trouble for making an "indirect tweet" about a student. However, since it was indirect, it could be argued it wasn't about that student. But anyway, if it is a private account then surely they don't have a right to read that tweet since it was done in confidence - not intending to be shown by nobody but that person's followers?
So this person knew that things they tweeted were being made public and stll sent an abusive tweet? Too dumb for school?
Jamerson
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Excellent decision of the school to exclude said student.
River85
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Defamation Act 2013: Honest Opinion.
Doesn't apply as far as I'm aware but I'm not a lawyer.

And they are not a victim of anything that they do not know of.
Yes, they are. Besides, they are clearly aware of the incident...

It really doesn't matter if the tweet was private. It was still seen by several individuals and sent electronically, potentially to hundreds or thousands of people across the world. Once you put something out onto the Internet, it's out there. A permanent record is made. This can easily be distributed to people who that person wouldn't want to the tweet to be seen by.

It was stupid, immature and careless of the student. They should accept the consequences.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Contemporary Dance Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Nov '19
  • University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (145)
19.1%
Labour (323)
42.56%
Liberal Democrats (154)
20.29%
Green Party (41)
5.4%
Brexit Party (21)
2.77%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (2)
0.26%
SNP (9)
1.19%
Plaid Cymru (6)
0.79%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.13%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.13%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)