History OCR AS essay help pls (structure and general tips)! Watch

harrypotterfan6
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm really struggling to produce a good history essay. I need help with analysis and reasoning and also the structure of my essays is awful.. any tips? I'm doing the Rise of China and Tudors for the document paper.

For example, How successful were Chiang Kaishek's domestic policies to 1945? How to you assess success?

Any help will be brilliant! Thanks
Puddles the Monkey
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by harrypotterfan6)
I'm really struggling to produce a good history essay. I need help with analysis and reasoning and also the structure of my essays is awful.. any tips? I'm doing the Rise of China and Tudors for the document paper.

For example, How successful were Chiang Kaishek's domestic policies to 1945? How to you assess success?

So I would start by asking myself:

- What were the domestic policies?

- What goals were the policies trying to achieve?

- How successful were they at achieving those goals? What worked? What didn't work?

Does that help any?

You need to make sure that you're not just telling a story when you write an essay.
harrypotterfan6
Rep:
?
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
So I would start by asking myself:

- What were the domestic policies?

- What goals were the policies trying to achieve?

- How successful were they at achieving those goals? What worked? What didn't work?

Does that help any?

You need to make sure that you're not just telling a story when you write an essay.
thank you!!
BethanyMary
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by harrypotterfan6)

Hey you might have already finished your essay by now, and what the other person said was great advice, but just for some extra little tips... when structuring the paragraph, you'll want to begin by outlining and explaining the policies, making sure you include plenty of relevant facts and figures, because they like that. When you're analysing the success of the policy, it can be a good idea to have in your head a clear criteria of what would make it a 'success' and what would make it a 'failure', and apply this same criteria when looking at all the policies. I haven't studied that topic so I can't give an example specifically for that question, but 'short term/long term successes' is something you can probably consider. My final advice would be, try to include a historians viewpoint, if you can. This won't get you extra marks, but will distinguish you as a top candidate for the Tudor topic, you might use someone like Elton (especially if it's an essay about Wolsey, who Elton seems to have had a particular dislike for). Hope this has helped somewhat
harrypotterfan6
Rep:
?
(Original post by BethanyMary)
Hey you might have already finished your essay by now, and what the other person said was great advice, but just for some extra little tips... when structuring the paragraph, you'll want to begin by outlining and explaining the policies, making sure you include plenty of relevant facts and figures, because they like that. When you're analysing the success of the policy, it can be a good idea to have in your head a clear criteria of what would make it a 'success' and what would make it a 'failure', and apply this same criteria when looking at all the policies. I haven't studied that topic so I can't give an example specifically for that question, but 'short term/long term successes' is something you can probably consider. My final advice would be, try to include a historians viewpoint, if you can. This won't get you extra marks, but will distinguish you as a top candidate for the Tudor topic, you might use someone like Elton (especially if it's an essay about Wolsey, who Elton seems to have had a particular dislike for). Hope this has helped somewhat
thanks, I'll try that!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • Middlesex University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (165)
18.48%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.19%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.57%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (130)
14.56%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.52%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.68%

Watched Threads