The Student Room Group

social construction

anyone know what the difference is between Social constructivism and social constructionism?
Original post by mikeevans8981
anyone know what the difference is between Social constructivism and social constructionism?

Is there meant to be a difference? Hmnmnmn dont know there...
There is a subtle difference between the two.

Social constructionism focuses on objects that are created through interaction between people and so attitudes towards those objects are formed. A good example of a social construction is ideas of what we find to be immoral, for example polygamy is illegal in the UK but in some religions/cultures marrying multiple people is socially acceptable. The concept of polygamy being immoral is a social construction, as is polygamy itself.

Social constructivism on the other hand focuses on individual's learning of objects through social interaction, for example how a person's attitudes and understandings are formed through discussing a topic with other people. This is a theory of knowledge rather than interaction, and focuses more on the individual than the group.

Constructionism = physical social interaction
Constructivism = cognitive process of learning

I'm no expert on the topic but this is my understanding, if anyone else has a different explanation feel free to correct me :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest