C1 Recursion Sequence help

Watch this thread
HappyHumanist
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hello all, been doing some past papers and I'm a bit confused as too why one of my methods isn't working: it's Question 8 on Edexcel C1 June 2007 (see http://www.examsolutions.net/a-level...June/paper.php).

A sequence a1, a2, a3 is defined.

a1 = k
an+1=3an+5 n>1

Where k is a positive integer

You are then asked to calculate the sum of the first four terms. The correct way I've found out now is too simply add them up one by one (e.g. write out a1, a2, a3 and a4 and then just sum them), but I'm a bit confused. I tried to use the formula: Sn=n/2(a+L), where n=4, a=k and l=27k +65 (a4), but this gives me an incorrect answer of 56k + 130. The correct answer is 40k + 90. Why doesn't using this formula work? Any help appreciated.
m4ths/maths247
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
First question....is it arithmetic?
HappyHumanist
Rep:
(Original post by m4ths/maths247)
First question....is it arithmetic?
I thought all sequences defined by a recursion relationship were!

The terms are:

a1 = k
a2 = 3k + 5
a3 = 9k + 20
a4 = 27k + 65
Thanks!
m4ths/maths247
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by HappyHumanist)
I thought all sequences defined by a recursion relationship were!

The terms are:

a1 = k
a2 = 3k + 5
a3 = 9k + 20
a4 = 27k + 65
Thanks!
By letting k=1 does that help you understand why the use of the formula was not successful?
HappyHumanist
Rep:
(Original post by m4ths/maths247)
By letting k=1 does that help you understand why the use of the formula was not successful?
I see now, it is not an arithmetic series! I assumed that all recursive relationships automatically were, but I now understand my error. Thank-you!
TheScallywag
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
You simply add all the terms together for the first part which gives you 40k + 90 then take a factor of 10 out to show it can be divided by 10. 10(4k + 9)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (155)
41.67%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.55%
No (148)
39.78%

Watched Threads