Have you ever damaged your car?

Watch
jusdorange
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Browsing a lot of threads, people say you should get a cheap car as your 1st because you will inevitably give it minor cosmetic damage

With that in mind I ask the question , have you dented/damaged your car ?
Oliiver
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jusdorange)
Browsing a lot of threads, people say you should get a cheap car as your 1st because you will inevitably give it minor cosmetic damage

Past my test first time, same night took the car out (Audi a7)and caught the wheel arch on a bin. Luckily it only scuffed it as i'm on £500 excess….
redferry
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jusdorange)

I dinged mine on the awkward metal gate and dented it as well as taking the paint off.

Then someone drove into me at 60 mph and wrote it off after I got it fixed
fluttershy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My first car, I managed to slightly crack the rear bumper by reversing into a post. You could hardly see it though. Worse damage was a cracked mirror, but that was more down to the other person coming flying off a bend partly on my side of the road (with more experience I probably could have avoided it, but it was still largely their fault).
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No, never.

Start out with a low powered rear wheel drive car and it'll teach you how to respond to a vehicle properly and you're set for life.
dhr90
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Scuffed the drivers side mirror on a concrete post in a multistory car park. Did that trying to given the badly parked Audi next to me space to open their door. Next time I might just let them struggle. The mirror already had quite a few scrapes so I haven't bothered to repair it, the car is only worth £500 so no point spending much to repair anything on it in my opinion.
CAElite
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
No, never.

Start out with a low powered rear wheel drive car and it'll teach you how to respond to a vehicle properly and you're set for life.
I cant think of a single car that fits this description that a 17 year old nowadays could afford to buy and insure
Nuffles
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by CAElite)
I cant think of a single car that fits this description that a 17 year old nowadays could afford to buy and insure
Morris Minor

I took out a stone wall with my Land Rover after sliding on black ice, but luckily having a steel girder for a bumper has its advantages and there was no damage at all

I managed not to bump or scrape the next four cars after that, until I got my current car. Something about having your deliveries timed make you an impatient driver So far I've managed to KO both my front and rear driver's side doors, the rear so badly that it wouldn't even shut properly. Bloody concrete posts hiding in my blind spots. There are scuffs on most of the bumper corners from walls because I'm I can't be bothered to wait to do another point in the turn. I rear ended someone at an awkward junction too, but there wasn't any damage to their car as the crash bar on mine took the brunt of it. Luckily I know my way around tools so I've fixed it all myself very cheaply. I never manage to do this stuff when I'm not at work, I can't wait to finish in a month or two so I can go back to driving like a normal person
ak_93
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I believe the statistic is 1 in 4* have an accident in their first year....but probably much higher when you consider the number of people who damage their cars and do not claim.

* DSA, Learning to Drive: a consultation paper (2008)
Runninground
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I haven't done any major damage, but for some reason everyone seems to dent my car with their car doors. Grr.
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Morris Minor
Land rover series
Triumph Herald
MG Midget
MGB GT
Triumph Spitfire
Triumph Dolomite
Ford Capri
VW Beetle
MX5
Morris Marina
345rty
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A few dings scrapes and a broken windscreen.
Alfissti
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Smart ForTwo & BMW 116i
mattcam94
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Had a fairly serious crash 6 months in, into a wall. Didn't all front end in but know a local garage that repaired it for £400

Got few dents and scratches from
Car doors and friends not looking after it (kicking balls on accident etc etc)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Alfissti
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Crashes I've had :-

1) Volvo 164 got rear ended and it went into a concrete barrier, car caught fire after that. Well worth it got more money back from insurance than what was paid for it.

2) Austin Metro reversed into a beer keg that was being unloaded at a pub. Some damage to the bumper.

3) Fiat Coupe, got rear ended by one VW Golf. Nothing major other than damage to the bumper and nearly slapped the driver of that Golf for being a soggy *****.

4) Alfa Romeo GT had a roll over, a lorry blew its tyre and I tried to avoid it, was quite the rollover as it flipped twice before going into a motorway barrier. Surprisingly managed to open the driver door and exit from it unhurt other than a few cuts and bruises.

5) Volvo XC90 got rear ended by a tailgater, just a cracked bumper.

6) Volvo C70 scratched the rear bumper against the garage door.
NathanW18
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Nothing too major. Caused a bit of damage to my left wing mirror by driving too close to some bushes. I also remember reversing and knocking over one of my parents friends statues. Luckily, it didn't break and there was only a scuff mark on my car.

Been driving for 5 years and nothing major has happened. Long may that continue.
Boristhethird
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
just a little bit
after only 3 weeks of driving, don't drive tired people
natninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Once I crashed into a gate - well my car did.... Handbrake wasn't on properly - needed to replace a headlight and the bonnet

Some plonker was speeding and took off my driver's side wingmirror while I was parked - they didn't even stop....

Yesterday I managed to get my car stuck driving down a grass bank and there was a rock I didn't see which lifted the front wheels... And with a front wheel drive...
SmashingChap
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would advise buying a really old car with no mod cons and power steering etc for your first car. You'll get used to driving properly and then after the first year buy something modern, it will be a piece of pish and you will be a much better driver for it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (179)
28.59%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (104)
16.61%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.27%
I want to meet current students (52)
8.31%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (50)
7.99%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (126)
20.13%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (37)
5.91%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.19%

Watched Threads