Is Nottingham University presigious? Watch

BaudelaireLucky
  • Study Helper
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I know that you should apply for the courses and not the repuatation but I can't help wondering what people think of Nottingham, is it seen as really good? Or just okay?
Maiesk
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It really depends on what course you're doing. Overall it is still a top 25 UK University, and last year was top 20. In areas such as Chemistry, however, it's regarded one of the best universities in the country. The campus is quite beautiful, and fairly large.

As for the city itself, people give it an unfair reputation. It's no worse than any other city for crime, and you're not likely to be a victim to crime if you take the necessary precautions. There's greenery and all the shops you could want.
AlexSe4
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
yeh.. nottingham is very presigious..

jokes aside its a good uni
Arieisit
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If someone who cannot spell prestigious is going to attend there, then it is not prestigious enough!

Posted from TSR Mobile
BaudelaireLucky
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Arieisit)
If someone who cannot spell prestigious is going to attend there, then it is not prestigious enough!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was typing very quickly on my phone
Oops
Leilalala
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's ranked as the number one UK uni for the top employers to find graduate recruits (http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/news/pre...employers.aspx) so, yes, it's very prestigious.
Meat is Murder
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It depends on the subject. For Law, Economics and English among others it is very highly respected. But if someone does Sociology there then no one cares. Same for the majority of RG unis.
makrxx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How's Nottingham as a city? Have offers from Exeter and Manchester too for Econs/Finance...
RSmith1007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would chop off my right arm to go to the University of Nottingham. Not really obviously but I would love be able to go there but my grades aren't good enough
Arieisit
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by RSmith1007)
I would chop off my right arm to go to the University of Nottingham. Not really obviously but I would love be able to go there but my grades aren't good enough
Not because you cannot get into Nottingham makes it prestigious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Theriverboatsong
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nottingham is quite prestigious by UK standards. About the same as York, Manchester and Glasgow. Used to be up there with Warwick and Durham in the 90s, before the expansion kind of diluted quality for quantity. Government budget cuts forced their hand to expand I think. Probably will never see it again in the top 10 in UK rankings due to it's sheer size.
Tomatochuckers
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
To be honest. is very good but not elite (assuming elite is Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE, very good is Durham, Bristol, KCL, Manc, Good is Sheffield, Birmingham, Liverpool). As some have alluded to, in the 90s it was a solid top 10 university. Expansion has diluted the overall quality but there are many, many top students in the campus.

In terms of careers though I think it outperforms half of the russel groups, very good for corporate law, engineering, accounting etc. reasonable for things like investment banking.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Nottingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 13 Sep '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 14 Sep '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (221)
12.46%
Excited (166)
9.36%
Worried (309)
17.43%
Terrified (390)
22%
Meh (186)
10.49%
Confused (39)
2.2%