GIving several attempts in the exam?

Watch
bobbricks
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
In the M1, exam I've been told you can attempt a question several times, and if you don't cross any of them out, then the examiner will mark all the attempts and choose the one which gives you the highest mark. Is this true? If so, would you be allowed to do this in the C1/2/3/4 exams?

EDIT: I probably should've mentioned I'm on Edexcel :P
danlocke
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by bobbricks)
In the M1, exam I've been told you can attempt a question several times, and if you don't cross any of them out, then the examiner will mark all the attempts and choose the one which gives you the highest mark. Is this true? If so, would you be allowed to do this in the C1/2/3/4 exams?
I did this in the C2 exam last june, got two different answers and still got full marks so I guess so. (I just checked the script, this was definitely the case).
BankOfPigs
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Depends on your board.

I know for Ocr at least, they are told to mark your most 'complete' solution, or if that isn't obvious, your most recent one.

Generally I'd discourage you from leaving multiple solutions, better just cross out the one that you think is probably wrong.
Phichi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've also heard that if you cross your solution out, but its still viable for marks, and you have no other written solution down, if the examiner can read whats under your crossing out, he can mark it, not sure on this, but I've heard it a lot.
Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by BankOfPigs)
I know for Ocr at least, they are told to mark your most 'complete' solution, or if that isn't obvious, your most recent one.
I'm an OCR Examiner and that isn't quite right.

Here's the 'Rules for replaced work':

"If a candidate attempts a question more than once, and indicates which attempt he/she wishes to be marked, then examiners should do as the candidate requests.

If there are two or more attempts at a question which have not been crossed out, examiners should mark what appears to be the last (complete) attempt and ignore the others."
Mr M
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Phichi)
I've also heard that if you cross your solution out, but its still viable for marks, and you have no other written solution down, if the examiner can read whats under your crossing out, he can mark it, not sure on this, but I've heard it a lot.
We try to award marks where possible. For OCR:

"Work crossed out

a. where a candidate crosses out an answer and provides an alternative response, the crossed out response is not marked and gains no marks

b. if a candidate crosses out an answer to a whole question and makes no second attempt, and if the inclusion of the answer does not cause a rubric infringement, the assessor should attempt to mark the crossed out answer and award marks appropriately."
bobbricks
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr M)
I'm an OCR Examiner and that isn't quite right.

Here's the 'Rules for replaced work':

"If a candidate attempts a question more than once, and indicates which attempt he/she wishes to be marked, then examiners should do as the candidate requests.

If there are two or more attempts at a question which have not been crossed out, examiners should mark what appears to be the last (complete) attempt and ignore the others."
What if the candidate says he/she wants all of the attempts to be marked? Also, I don't suppose you know what the rules are for Edexcel regarding this? :cool:
Phichi
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What if the candidate says he/she wants all of the attempts to be marked? Also, I don't suppose you know what the rules are for Edexcel regarding this? :cool:
Basically like saying, putting down the numbers 1-10 for an answer and hoping one of them is right ?
Delta, Δ
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mr M)
We try to award marks where possible. For OCR:

"Work crossed out

a. where a candidate crosses out an answer and provides an alternative response, the crossed out response is not marked and gains no marks

b. if a candidate crosses out an answer to a whole question and makes no second attempt, and if the inclusion of the answer does not cause a rubric infringement, the assessor should attempt to mark the crossed out answer and award marks appropriately."
Hi, what does the bolded and underlined mean? =)
bobbricks
Rep:
?
Basically like saying, putting down the numbers 1-10 for an answer and hoping one of them is right ?
Attempting the question using one method, then doing the question again using a different method, but then finding that the the answers don't match so you keep both of them for instance
Phichi
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Attempting the question using one method, then doing the question again using a different method, but then finding that the the answers don't match so you keep both of them for instance
That'll never be allowed, you could use 5 methods, get 5 answers, and just pray one is right. Not showing any knowledge that you truly know what you're doing.
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The last time I checked this with a marking team leader at edexcel (18 months ago) he said that that if two attempts were made they would mark both and then award the marks from the best attempt.

I did not ask what they would do in the unlikely event you made 5 different attempts and left them all for the marker to deal with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
bobbricks
Rep:
?
That'll never be allowed, you could use 5 methods, get 5 answers, and just pray one is right. Not showing any knowledge that you truly know what you're doing.
In the January 2013 M1 mark scheme it says:
If a candidate makes more than
one attempt at any question:

If all but one attempt is crossed out,
mark the attempt which is NOT crossed
out.

If either all attempts are crossed out or none are crossed out, mark all the
attempts and score the highest single attempt
Mr M
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If they say they want all to be marked then the last one will be marked. The Edexcel rules are not the same - I seem to recall that multiple marking is permitted.

Edit: In fact the quote in the post above confirms that.
Phichi
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What's happening to exams these days, utterly disappointing, if all attempts are marked, does this really show a student understanding, instead of recital of methods in the hope they get an answer right?
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What's happening to exams these days, utterly disappointing, if all attempts are marked, does this really show a student understanding, instead of recital of methods in the hope they get an answer right?
They should apply the same principle to driving tests - if you go through a red light and kill a pedestrian, you should be able to go back round in a loop and wait until the light is green so you can get the 'pass marks'
Phichi
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by davros)
They should apply the same principle to driving tests - if you go through a red light and kill a pedestrian, you should be able to go back round in a loop and wait until the light is green so you can get the 'pass marks'
'Please rate some other members before rating this member again.'
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (738)
33.92%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (929)
42.69%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (413)
18.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (96)
4.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed