The Student Room Group

GCSE Statistics - standard deviation h/w

Hi!
My name is Ela and I am stuck on one of standard deviation questions on my homework...
The problem is that there is no 'x' which means that no individual scores are given so I have NO idea how to calculate s.d ...
Any help will be much appreciated!

(sorry if this doesn't make any sense,English isn't my first language)

Here's a printscreen of the h/w --- > https://twitter.com/bastilleela/status/454299394670489600/photo/1

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by obsessedstormer

Recall that the standard deviation is defined as the square root of variance. The variance for a discrete random variable XX of nn equally likely values is given by

var(X)=1ni=1n(xiμ)2=(1ni=1nxi2)μ2\displaystyle var(X) = \frac{1}{n} \sum_{i=1}^n (x_i - \mu)^2 = \bigg( \frac{1}{n} \sum_{i=1}^n x_i ^2 \bigg) - \mu^2

where μ=1ni=1nxi\displaystyle \mu = \frac{1}{n} \sum_{i=1}^n x_i is the mean.

The sums being taken over all values of xx.

You have been given the sum of squares of the scores and the sum of scores, simply use this information directly to evaluate what you need.

Pozdrawiam :smile:
Original post by Ateo
Recall that the standard deviation is defined as the square root of variance. The variance for a discrete random variable XX of nn equally likely values is given by

var(X)=1ni=1n(xiμ)2=(1ni=1nxi2)μ2\displaystyle var(X) = \frac{1}{n} \sum_{i=1}^n (x_i - \mu)^2 = \bigg( \frac{1}{n} \sum_{i=1}^n x_i ^2 \bigg) - \mu^2

where μ=1ni=1nxi\displaystyle \mu = \frac{1}{n} \sum_{i=1}^n x_i is the mean.

The sums being taken over all values of xx.

You have been given the sum of squares of the scores and the sum of scores, simply use this information directly to evaluate what you need.

Pozdrawiam :smile:

Widze ze mam doczynienia z dobrym matematykiem :smile:
(sorry if you didn't understand- I see that you're a good mathematician )

I've realised now that it does actually make sense,I guess I was just having a 'stupid' day? or I am stupid in general :biggrin:

Thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by obsessedstormer
Widze ze mam doczynienia z dobrym matematykiem :smile:

Niestety nie jest to prawda, daleko mi do dobrych matematykow. Na dodatek ostatnio jakos nie moge sie skupic na nauce, co ogromnie pogorsza moja sytuacje.
Original post by Ateo
Niestety nie jest to prawda, daleko mi do dobrych matematykow. Na dodatek ostatnio jakos nie moge sie skupic na nauce, co ogromnie pogorsza moja sytuacje.

Nie martw sie :smile:
Na pewno sobie poradzisz
Reply 5
Since when did English get so hard :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest