The Student Room Group

How many marks do you need to get an A* overall

Hi, im doing OCR sociology and was wondering how many ums you need to get an A* overall out of 400? thanks
Reply 1
You need 80% in the AS, and 90% in the A2.
You can't get an A* if you didn't get an A at AS.
Reply 2
If you get 400 then I think you're pretty much guaranteed an A* :cool:
Reply 3
Original post by Iridescenzo
You need 80% in the AS, and 90% in the A2.
You can't get an A* if you didn't get an A at AS.

that is complete rubbish. to get an A* you need an average of 80% overall with an average of 90% in the A2. So in theory you could get 60% in the AS and 100% in the A2 and still get an A*.....
Reply 4
Original post by gideon123
that is complete rubbish. to get an A* you need an average of 80% overall with an average of 90% in the A2. So in theory you could get 60% in the AS and 100% in the A2 and still get an A*.....

Sorry; I just looked it up. This is how they explained it to us at sixth form, but I guess it was wrong. :colondollar:
Sorry to interrupt but I`m doing OCR Biology, for my AS Grades I got two A`s in my AS Level exams but a E in my ISA so I ended up with a B overall 234/300 UMS.
I`m resitting my ISA during my A2`s and I think i`ve managed to get a C, so that should put my overall AS Grade up to a (low) A.

I`m just wondering but Could I still get an A* in biology If i got 90%`s in my A2 exams but only a C in my A2 ISA`s? Or do I need to get 90% UMS overall, so 270/300 UMS?

Thanks for your help :smile:
Sorry; I just looked it up. This is how they explained it to us at sixth form, but I guess it was wrong. :colondollar:

This seems to be a common myth. I wonder if Sixth Forms are genuinely ignorant, or if they just want to make sure people focus on their AS Levels :tongue:

Original post by flamegoblin0
Sorry to interrupt but I`m doing OCR Biology, for my AS Grades I got two A`s in my AS Level exams but a E in my ISA so I ended up with a B overall 234/300 UMS.
I`m resitting my ISA during my A2`s and I think i`ve managed to get a C, so that should put my overall AS Grade up to a (low) A.

I`m just wondering but Could I still get an A* in biology If i got 90%`s in my A2 exams but only a C in my A2 ISA`s? Or do I need to get 90% UMS overall, so 270/300 UMS?

Thanks for your help :smile:

You need to get 270/300. It's possible to do that with a bad ISA mark if you do particularly well on the exams, but the A* includes the ISA mark.
Reply 7

Is that right so since i got 70% in AS which is a B, and if I get 90% in A2 will that be an A* :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Original post by meemily
If you get 400 then I think you're pretty much guaranteed an A* :cool:

Im not a beast :rolleyes:
Reply 9
It's not marks, but UMS that's important. How many marks you need to get a UMS of 80% - which is an A - varies from year to year. You can find the conversion tables for each year on the exam board's website.
Reply 10
Original post by juliam
It's not marks, but UMS that's important. How many marks you need to get a UMS of 80% - which is an A - varies from year to year. You can find the conversion tables for each year on the exam board's website.

Sorry I was meant to say UMS
Reply 11
Just gonna post this, courtesy of Ofqual, so there's no ambiguity:

'In order to get an A*, candidates have to get an A overall for their A level, and score 90 per cent or more of the total A2 marks available. It is being awarded for full A levels only, not for AS levels or for individual units.'
Reply 12
Just gonna post this, courtesy of Ofqual, so there's no ambiguity:

'In order to get an A*, candidates have to get an A overall for their A level, and score 90 per cent or more of the total A2 marks available. It is being awarded for full A levels only, not for AS levels or for individual units.'

Oh right, thanks for that!!
Original post by random1234567
Is that right so since i got 70% in AS which is a B, and if I get 90% in A2 will that be an A* :s-smilie:

yes :smile:
Original post by PythianLegume
This seems to be a common myth. I wonder if Sixth Forms are genuinely ignorant, or if they just want to make sure people focus on their AS Levels :tongue:

You need to get 270/300. It's possible to do that with a bad ISA mark if you do particularly well on the exams, but the A* includes the ISA mark.

In that case i`ll need to get almost full UMS on both my exams :frown: ah well haha
Reply 15
yes :smile:

Gives me hope :wink: thanks haha
Reply 16

Quick Reply

Latest