Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    SALVE!
    hey guys.
    anyone else doing a latin module for classics AS?
    want to cry with me?
    hey that cicero's a one, am i right?
    how does everyone feel about the upcoming exam???

ReputationRep:
    XD

Hi there! Fellow Latinist here. I'm doing Latin AS, so if you have any questions on Cicero, Ovid or language I shall endeavour to assist.

ReputationRep:
    hey there! do you have any particular techniques for understanding and translating the style of cicero? i really have no idea what hes talking about half the time

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, he's an effective orator, but freakin' long-winded.

This worked for me last year for my GCSE and I'll be trying it this year as well:

Have each Latin verse/chapter/passage in front of you. Next to it, have the English translation of it in view. Read through the English translation, and as you do, point to the corresponding Latin word. For instance, if I read 'Greek lyre player' in the English translation, I'll point to 'citharista' in the Latin. This will hopefully enhance the link between the English and the Latin, so that when you have the Latin, the translation is easier to recall.

As for just understanding what he's saying, create a one or two sentence review for each chapter. It's just a matter of understanding the English translation. The good news is that just memorising the translation will be enough for most of the exam, so if your understanding isn't 100%, you may ​only encounter problems in the 10 mark question.

ReputationRep:
    Ugh the Poetry & Verse I can deal with, it's just the translation paper that kills me. 70 marks for a translation? No thank you :/

ReputationRep:
    Just go through it logically. Subject, verb, object. Anything else. Put everything into a good order in your head, then write it down.

I strongly advise you to look through the entire text first before you even start translating. An idea of what's ahead helps put into context the beginning.

ReputationRep:
    A miracle is going to have to happen tomorrow!
    What last minute revision is everyone doing?
    Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Revise the vocab list. That's really all you can do now.

ReputationRep:
    Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dazed.)
    Thoughts?
    Not too bad
    Section B wasn't the best

ReputationRep:
    I think it was my tenses which was the worst part :/

ReputationRep:
    Agreed with above. The monster of a sentence in the middle of the passage was quite bad.

I regret not revising prose composition more, the sentences looked doable.

ReputationRep:
    Easy easy oh my go so damn hard alright weird easy easy...
    I know I messed up a couple of sentences...I'll just have to do amazingly in literature (cries)!

ReputationRep:
    What was the sentence in the one about Hannibal with 'ne' in about? I could not fathom what it was actually saying!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dazed.)
    What was the sentence in the one about Hannibal with 'ne' in about? I could not fathom what it was actually saying!
    Me neither! Something about him speaking to his father?

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god I messed it up so bad. I went through it with my teacher after he got the paper and holy jesus I messed it up really bad. I made really stupid mistakes (I translatied Antiochus as nominative in one bit) but also messed up the meaning of many sentences. Like, they're not even close to how my teacher translated them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boo249)
    Me neither! Something about him speaking to his father?
    Was it the bit with the 'id faciam' in it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crowliel)
    Oh my god I messed it up so bad. I went through it with my teacher after he got the paper and holy jesus I messed it up really bad. I made really stupid mistakes (I translatied Antiochus as nominative in one bit) but also messed up the meaning of many sentences. Like, they're not even close to how my teacher translated them.
    I know that feel! I'm going to have to ace ;literature, which is less likely than me winning the lottery!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boo249)
    I know that feel! I'm going to have to ace ;literature, which is less likely than me winning the lottery!
    Have you got both set texts learnt yet? Mine are really iffy, I know it's not until 3rd of June so I can learn them word for word but I'm scared. I'm really bad at answering the 10 mark Ovid questions!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crowliel)
    Have you got both set texts learnt yet? Mine are really iffy, I know it's not until 3rd of June so I can learn them word for word but I'm scared. I'm really bad at answering the 10 mark Ovid questions!
    I haven't learnt them yet! I can do the Ovid 10 markers but not the Cicero ones; and worse I can only occasionally do the 8 and 6 markers, but I've never managed to do a whole paper in time! I'm so worried!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 1, 2014

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.