F1's Finest
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
As in the title.

I'm making notes from a lecture and I see this:

If a solution has a higher osmotic potential, it draws water out of the cells. The solution is hyper-osmotic.

I'm confused here.

Firstly, does water potential = osmotic potential? In that case, water moves from a high potential to a low potential.

Secondly, if a solution has a higher osmotic potential, shouldn't that mean that water actually goes into the cell, as opposed to water being drawn out of the cell?

Many thanks
Rob da Mop
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A solution that is hyper-osmotic or hypertonic has a higher osmotic potential and contains more solutes. It therefore draws water across membranes from areas with lower osmotic potential (hypo-osmotic). In this example, if you dropped some cells in a hyper-osmotic solution it would draw the water out of the cells making them crenate.

I've heard the term water potential used before but was never taught using it, so I don't really know what it means. See if it matches up with any of that.
F1's Finest
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Rob da Mop)
A solution that is hyper-osmotic or hypertonic has a higher osmotic potential and contains more solutes. It therefore draws water across membranes from areas with lower osmotic potential (hypo-osmotic). In this example, if you dropped some cells in a hyper-osmotic solution it would draw the water out of the cells making them crenate.

I've heard the term water potential used before but was never taught using it, so I don't really know what it means. See if it matches up with any of that.
That clarifies it! Many thanks! +1
swiftylol
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by James A)
As in the title.

I'm making notes from a lecture and I see this:

I'm confused here.

Firstly, does water potential = osmotic potential? In that case, water moves from a high potential to a low potential.

Secondly, if a solution has a higher osmotic potential, shouldn't that mean that water actually goes into the cell, as opposed to water being drawn out of the cell?

Many thanks
The higher the osmotic potential, the lower the water potential.

High osmotic potential = Low water potential
High water potential = Low osmotic potential
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (15)
13.04%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (73)
63.48%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (14)
12.17%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (10)
8.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (3)
2.61%

Watched Threads