The Student Room Group

False rape accusation - how much prison should she get?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Algorithm69
Now, now, gentlemen. Remember, women are poor wretched creatures. They are weak-willed and not responsible for their actions. Their actions are beyond their control, and the big bad Patriarchy, ergo men, are responsible for their "crimes". No woman should be jailed for any reason. They instead need love, understanding, and care. Why don't you understand this?

Thus I, Algorithm69, fully support the feminist organisation Soroptimist as it campaigns to close down all female prisons. I long for a day where no woman has to pay for the vicarious crimes of men.

What the hell is wrong with you?

Your mother must have been pretty bad to you.
Original post by TolerantBeing
Imagine the deterrent it would be for victims to report rape if false accusations of rape were made as punishable as the crime?

That doesn't make any sense. If it's a false accusation, the woman isn't an actual victim

Insulting people's mothers? Really?

What a revolting person you are
Reply 43
Imagine the deterrent it would be for victims to report rape if false accusations of rape were made as punishable as the crime?

I've never heard anything so ridiculous.

It wouldn't be a deterrent if you had to prove there was a malicious intent beyond a reasonable doubt, if you're innocent you will be fine. It also stops stupid women making it harder for real rape victims.
All you need to do, my dear, is look up any newspaper articles dealing with false rape accusations where they interview the victim. One theme always comes up: the man's life was ruined. A rape allegation is akin to being labelled a paedophile. It never goes away. Men lose their wives, their friends, and their jobs as a result. Or you could just research what Craig Charles went through.

Wilful ignorance. Purposefully dumb.

What else is a news article going to say? Of course the idea of an article sensationalising something to sell the story has obviously never entered your mind...
Original post by samba
The scope of this topic is discussing appropriate punishment for malicious allegations.

Far less rapes than burglaries happen; does that mean rape should be considered unimportant too? :confused:

Since when was 'justice by volume' practiced? And are you suggesting rape ISN'T dealt with by the courts? :s-smilie:

Malicious accusations are so incredibly rare that I would argue it's a non-issue. For every one innocent man who suffers down to false allegations, hundreds of men and women suffer rape itself, which as I said previously is a far more serious crime. You're probably more likely to be crushed by a falling vending machine than imprisoned on a false rape charge.

I'm inclined to agree. Unfortunately, feminists law has replaced Godwin's law on TSR.
Reply 47
Original post by Messalina
Malicious accusations are so incredibly rare that I would argue it's a non-issue. For every one innocent man who suffers down to false allegations, hundreds of men and women suffer rape itself, which as I said previously is a far more serious crime. You're probably more likely to be crushed by a falling vending machine than imprisoned on a false rape charge.

Got any facts from non feminist sources for your claims?
You might be interested in this peer-reviewed article by the American College of Forensic Examiners Institute. There isn't much data on false rape accusations (surprise surprise) but they determined, using the most rigorous methods available, that between 40-50% of rape accusations reported to the police are false. Completely made up:

http://www.theforensicexaminer.com/archive/spring09/15/

I'm not sure why you've written this to me? I do think you're being a bit dichotomous by saying "completely made up". No one likes looking at the grey area with rape. As far as false accusation go, you could look at a few kinds-

- Accusation where the woman was sexually assaulted, but lies in that she claims she was raped.
- Accusations where the woman feels she was pressured into sex, but did still consent, so wasn't raped.
- False accusations for revenge/money
- False accusations because of mental illness- ie she thinks she was raped
- Accusations where the woman was intoxicated, but not to the level that means she wasn't able to consent.
- Accusations where the couple did have consensual sex
- Accusations where they couple had no sex

I'm just making the point that this is a lot more complex than it is generally treated. Rape is quite a specific crime, you can treat someone quite horribley without raping them.

By the way, I highly recommend anybody reading this thread also reads this report, by the UK Crown Prosecution Service from March 2013 http://www.cps.gov.uk/publications/research/perverting_course_of_justice_march_2013.pdf

So many evil, malicious accusations, right? WRONG.

I think you're ignoring the point I've made to you- low convictions does not mean low incidence. There are thousands of cases every year where the man is found not guilty of rape. Ok, that only means it hasn't been proved beyond reasonable doubt, but logic would imply a lot of those accusations are false. After being through a horrible experience like a court case for rape, I doubt many have the will to go through that again.
Original post by MostUncivilised
And obviously the level of punishment for a crime should be based on how common it is.

Do you have any evidence for that made-up claim?

Nice little insinuation there that anyone who raises the issue is a bit rapey themselves. If that's the best you've got, no wonder feminism has utterly discredited itself

See my CPS report on page 2 of this thread. Lots of lovely stats there for you. Still waiting for those stats for your made up claims on page 1, by the way, feel free to provide at any time! :smile:
Reply 50

So why are you posting in this thread if you don't care about the issue? This thread is about somebody who was convicted of it, and the sentencing.

And I've explained to you why the crimes are of a similar severity. You didn't challenge that.
See my CPS report on page 2 of this thread. Lots of lovely stats there for you.

You seem to be confused, poor dear.

I haven't disputed the prevalence of false accusations of rape. I've disputed your claim that the punishment for crimes should be based on their prevalence.

That's obviously an idiotic argument, and this has been rightly pointed out by others on the thread.
Original post by MostUncivilised
Insulting people's mothers? Really?

What a revolting person you are

If someone such as yourself thought of me as anything more than disgusting I'd be deeply insulted.
Why should the penalty for falsely accusing someone of a crime be the same as the penalty for the crime itself? :| I'm sure the majority of rape victims would much prefer to be falsely accused of rape than to have been actually raped.

Makes no sense.
See my CPS report on page 2 of this thread. Lots of lovely stats there for you. Still waiting for those stats for your made up claims on page 1, by the way, feel free to provide at any time! :smile:

Please, you've got to stop thinking like this. It's so harmful. We recently had our first prosecution for female genital mutiliation, so clearly that's way less important an issue than false rape accusations, which according to you is a "non issue". Pah, stupid women claiming their clits were cut off, look at the stats! One prosecution, they must be lying. We should ignore FGM and concentrate on men being assaulted, of which there are dozens every day.
Original post by Mankytoes

I think you're ignoring the point I've made to you- low convictions does not mean low incidence. There are thousands of cases every year where the man is found not guilty of rape. Ok, that only means it hasn't been proved beyond reasonable doubt, but logic would imply a lot of those accusations are false. After being through a horrible experience like a court case for rape, I doubt many have the will to go through that again.

Unfortunately that is conjecture though. The only way one can know if it truly happened, from a third person POV, is through conviction rates. I could equally say that every single not guilty verdict for rape is simply due to not enough evidence, not to mention the cases which do not reach court or do not get reported to the police. But sadly, that can't stand in an internet debate, because there are no hard stats to report it. We can have no way of knowing the exact number of false (and true) allegations of rape, only conviction rates. Although since the variance for false allegations of any crime would fall between 2 and 8%, I would hazard a guess that people lie to the police at similar rates across different crimes. Unless there's a suggestion here that women disproportionately lie about being raped?
Reply 56
Wait, so you think a woman should be allowed to walk into a police station, cry rape knowing full well she experienced no such thing and is only looking for revenge/monetary gain/attention, waste police time, taxpayer money, and potentially destroy a man's life...and simply be allowed to walk away with little more than a slap on the wrist?

If the woman is clearly just committing fraud she should be tried as such. However that attitude leads to the idea that if someone actually believes someone had raped them but they are wrong, for whatever reason, then they should be punished as though they are trying to scam the country. That's just idiotic.
Reply 57
How much prison?

I say all the prison
We can have no way of knowing the exact number of false (and true) allegations of rape, only conviction rates.

And level of punishment should be based on prevalence, obviously
Original post by just a dad
I'm inclined to agree. Unfortunately, feminists law has replaced Godwin's law on TSR.

I just don't understand where the bitter hatred comes from.

I want to peer through their laptop screens and see for myself what has caused such bitterness. It's mind boggling.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending