french mouse
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello,

I've got a few questions about student finance !! I'm trying to apply BUT :

I've got british nationality but have been living in the EU most of my life. I called SFE twice (to make sure), asking if I would still be able to get a maintenance loan, and they said yes, yet I don't seem to fit in the conditions I can find on their website. Who should I trust ? Would it be possible to apply as a national AND as an EU, so that both options are open ?

Also, I haven't got a british bank acount, and need a letter from university to open one. I can't get this letter before I meet the requirements. Can I still apply for tuition AND maintenance loan before I have a bank account, and fill in the details later ?

Last but not least, how do I get my national insurance number if I'm currently living in France ?

Thank you for your help !!
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by french mouse)
Hello,

I've got a few questions about student finance !! I'm trying to apply BUT :

I've got british nationality but have been living in the EU most of my life. I called SFE twice (to make sure), asking if I would still be able to get a maintenance loan, and they said yes, yet I don't seem to fit in the conditions I can find on their website. Who should I trust ? Would it be possible to apply as a national AND as an EU, so that both options are open ?

Also, I haven't got a british bank acount, and need a letter from university to open one. I can't get this letter before I meet the requirements. Can I still apply for tuition AND maintenance loan before I have a bank account, and fill in the details later ?

Last but not least, how do I get my national insurance number if I'm currently living in France ?

Thank you for your help !!
The website I'm afraid- nationality is irrelevant. Unless you can prove that your residence outside the UK is temporary e,g, through a parents contract then you can only get a tuition fee loan. As an EU student you can only apply on paper.
french mouse
Rep:
?
(Original post by jelly1000)
The website I'm afraid- nationality is irrelevant. Unless you can prove that your residence outside the UK is temporary e,g, through a parents contract then you can only get a tuition fee loan. As an EU student you can only apply on paper.
Ok, thanks for you reply

It's really weird they both gave the same answer though ? Shouldn't they give correct informartion ? This is really going to determine all my finance really...

Do you think it would be possible to still try and apply as a national student and send the EU documents at the same time ? Or would it be considered as fraud ?
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ok, thanks for you reply

It's really weird they both gave the same answer though ? Shouldn't they give correct informartion ? This is really going to determine all my finance really...

Do you think it would be possible to still try and apply as a national student and send the EU documents at the same time ? Or would it be considered as fraud ?
yes but student finance aren't known for their competence! and to apply for a UK maintainance loan you need a national insurance number which you wont have and a UK address.
Jenn.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello! Does anyone know if we need to translate into English the supporting documents we must send along (like the birth certificate)? They don't state it clearly on their website.

I was thinking of emailing them but just thought I could get a faster answer on here... but oh well, might do it tomorrow
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jenn.)
Hello! Does anyone know if we need to translate into English the supporting documents we must send along (like the birth certificate)? They don't state it clearly on their website.

I was thinking of emailing them but just thought I could get a faster answer on here... but oh well, might do it tomorrow
don't bother emailing, I don't know if they even reply to emails. If you want to contact student finance you need to phone. Why would you need to send your birth certificate? I believe student finance only ask for the passport or id card
french mouse
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jenn.)

Hi !

Just wondering how much our cases are similar ? Are you applying as en EU or nation al student ?

As for emailing them... Don't bother! Follow jelly1000's advice! ^^
Jenn.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
don't bother emailing, I don't know if they even reply to emails. If you want to contact student finance you need to phone. Why would you need to send your birth certificate? I believe student finance only ask for the passport or id card
Ah, okay. Will phone then.

Sorry, I misread it: it's just for students from the Republic of Ireland. So, I guess you're right: I don't need to send it.

But do you think I really need to translate into English my passport and national ID card? I mean, it's in French so it must not be hard to just read my name.
Jenn.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi !

Just wondering how much our cases are similar ? Are you applying as en EU or nation al student ?

As for emailing them... Don't bother! Follow jelly1000's advice! ^^
Okay, thanks. I will just phone them.

I'm applying as an EU student. But what's an ''al student'' though?
french mouse
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jenn.)
Okay, thanks. I will just phone them.

I'm applying as an EU student. But what's an ''al student'' though?
It's national! x) Obviously my proof-reading is not at its most effecient...

And thanks for the answer!
Jenn.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's national! x) Obviously my proof-reading is not at its most effecient...

And thanks for the answer!
Hahaha it's fine.

You're welcome! Thanks to you, too French mouse.
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jenn.)
Ah, okay. Will phone then.

Sorry, I misread it: it's just for students from the Republic of Ireland. So, I guess you're right: I don't need to send it.

But do you think I really need to translate into English my passport and national ID card? I mean, it's in French so it must not be hard to just read my name.
ive no idea sorry
Jenn.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
ive no idea sorry
Oh well, thanks though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• De Montfort University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Undergraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19
  • Regent's University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (83)
19.53%
Labour (207)
48.71%
Liberal Democrats (59)
13.88%
Green Party (26)
6.12%
Brexit Party (5)
1.18%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.71%
SNP (8)
1.88%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.71%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1.41%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (2)