In regard to BIOL2 AQA Specification, do we need to know the stages of meiosis?

Watch
d9717
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
The stages of mitosis are interphase, metaphase, anaphase etc...I'm wondering do we need to know the stages of meiosis because it doesn't show it the revision guide?
Picture~Perfect
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you're not sure about something you need to know then it is always a good idea to check out the specification; http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...10-W-SP-14.PDF which doesn't state that you need to know the stages and they don't appear to be listed in the textbook I have for AQA Biology. However if they are in your notes from class then it may be worth checking with your teacher.

Judging by the textbook and the specification I'd say that the important things you need to know about meiosis are; the formation of haploid cells, independent segregation and crossing over.
Tillybop
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by d9717)
The stages of mitosis are interphase, metaphase, anaphase etc...I'm wondering do we need to know the stages of meiosis because it doesn't show it the revision guide?
I did this last year on AQA. The level of detail for meiosis is a lot less than mitosis. It's more focused on the cross over, random fusion of gametes and the rise of variation, more than the actual stages involved. I don't think you need to know all the interphase, prophase stuff, but I learnt it anyway because it just makes more sense if you know everything.
d9717
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads