Would you still cycle if you had to follow the all the rules?

Watch
Poll: Would you still cycle if you had to follow all the rules?
Yes (0)
0%
No (1)
33.33%
I don't cycle (1)
33.33%
I just want to see what other people have voted (1)
33.33%
thisistheend
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
http://www.theguardian.com/environme...ping-red-light

So a lot of us might have seen already the clip of bad cyclists in York. The thing is, I do this ALL THE TIME, well, not the taking my coat off and falling over bit.

I break every red light, ignore one way signs, jostle with pedestrians etc. This is why cycling can compete with other means of transport, cos you can take every shortcut.

So if you had to follow all da man's rules like an old fuddy-duddy, would you still cycle?
Vixen47
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
After I found the rules about 7/8 months ago I stopped cycling to far places (anywhere about 4+ miles away) so I now only take my bike out to workout or to go to my local Tesco/Asda/Sainsburys because they're not so far that I'd be caught cycling like a maniac. And I do cycle like a maniac. I hate wearing a helmet, don't see the point of stopping at a red light if no one's crossing/no cars are coming, I'll happily go down a one way road if I'm able to cycle on the pavement, and I do mostly cycle on the pavement if it's emptyish. I cycle like I walk - carelessly until people/cars come along. I hate cycling where there may be people/cars and if I am in such a place then I walk with my bike because I don't trust myself to be safe around them. I basically do what I like if I know I can get away with it - it's exactly what I do in/with my life. It's a miracle police haven't seen me cycling because they'd probably get me done for "cycling under the influence" even though it probably doesn't exist and I don't drink!

It's ridiculous. I am one for shortcuts. Because I love walking everywhere (I regularly walk 8+ miles a day :borat:) I know my shortcuts well and so I like to use them when cycling but legally I'm not allowed to use them when cycling even though my kind of cycling would put less people at risk if I were to use these shortcuts to go down roads people and cars rarely use!

They may as well wrap every single cyclist in bubble wrap before they go cycling because that'll probably keep them as safe as these rules supposedly do. :rant:

I don't like rules. :getmecoat: Rules are only worth conforming to if you're driving or performing surgery. Not bloody cycling which you can do with your eyes closed! (I have tried that. )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (283)
15.25%
Uncertainty around my education (291)
15.68%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (184)
9.91%
Isolating with family (131)
7.06%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (86)
4.63%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (154)
8.3%
Loneliness (185)
9.97%
Financial worries (77)
4.15%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (171)
9.21%
Exposure to negative news/social media (132)
7.11%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (162)
8.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed