NatashaLee
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
As part of my university project we have to make a website, I've done ours using webs.

Does anyone know what the best way is to get it onto a CD which I can then give to the tutor where he'll be able to browse through all the pages etc

The website must be kept offline also, It can't be published

I was told I could use 'Ctrl and S' but when I saved it to my computer and tried opening it from the file there was no formatting/backgrounds/pages it was just a mess

Any help is appreciated
username909838
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by NatashaLee)
As part of my university project we have to make a website, I've done ours using webs.

Does anyone know what the best way is to get it onto a CD which I can then give to the tutor where he'll be able to browse through all the pages etc

The website must be kept offline also, It can't be published

I was told I could use 'Ctrl and S' but when I saved it to my computer and tried opening it from the file there was no formatting/backgrounds/pages it was just a mess

Any help is appreciated
I've just put my website onto a CD as part of one of my University projects.

Suppose it depends how your file management is. I mean, I had one main folder (which then contained two other folders being 'pages' and 'images') so I was able to just copy the main folder to a disc like you would with anything ala like copying to desktop, copying to a flash drive etc...
NatashaLee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Beatlemania)
I've just put my website onto a CD as part of one of my University projects.

Suppose it depends how your file management is. I mean, I had one main folder (which then contained two other folders being 'pages' and 'images') so I was able to just copy the main folder to a disc like you would with anything ala like copying to desktop, copying to a flash drive etc...
So when you used the CD were the pages still or clickable? Sorry if that's a dumb questions, this is all completely new to me

Will be easy to navigate and like find the website from the CD?
Old_Simon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This is why our country is hopeless at IT. Web sites and CDs are completely different technologies.
Old_Simon
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Anyway to answer the question:

Any web site consists of a series of files in folders.

Simply copy the whole lot to the CD.

It will be properly navigable if you used rel file locations in yr URIs
Old_Simon
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Isn't Webs an online web service ?
NatashaLee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Old_Simon)
Anyway to answer the question:

Any web site consists of a series of files in folders.

Simply copy the whole lot to the CD.

It will be properly navigable if you used rel file locations in yr URIs
Thank you
It wasn't my idea to put the website on a CD I'd much rather provide my tutor with a link be won't allow it.
Thanks for the reply though

and yeah it is, but our tutor doesn't want the website published -.-
Old_Simon
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thank you
It wasn't my idea to put the website on a CD I'd much rather provide my tutor with a link be won't allow it.
Thanks for the reply though

and yeah it is, but our tutor doesn't want the website published -.-
Well it might be published now already. Really it would be better to create your own web site from scratch. You can download html 5 starter kits and tart them up.
NatashaLee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Old_Simon)
Well it might be published now already. Really it would be better to create your own web site from scratch. You can download html 5 starter kits and tart them up.
Well I believe it isn't as everytime I log in it says something like 'do you want to publish your site' and that might be a good idea, I'm just running out of time at the moment so webs seemed like the quickest option
tsnake23
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm not sure what sort of degree you're doing or what the task entails, but surely if your asked to create a website you should actually create one yourself rather than just use an online generator? The fact that you've been instructed to save the website files to CD suggests you needed to create one from scratch.
Shodann
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can you use a USB stick ?
GiantKiwi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Webs.com is not at all suitable for the task if you are being asked to save it to a CD. As has been suggested, it does sound rather like you've been required to actually, you know, do the website yourself in HTML.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You can't save the file to a CD probably, the "files" are stored on their server and are intended to be kept there and hosted by them for online use. What have you been asked to do? Basic HTML is very easy and quick to do and can be saved to a file then opened in any web browser from a CD, but depending on the nature of the work that may not be suitable.
CodeJack
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
x
I'm not sure how webs even counts as an assignment but ok..

What you want is a website crawler to download all pages locally.

http://www.httrack.com/

The reason they want it on a CD is probably because they wanted you to actually create a website..

Also, I'm crying is dispair at some of the answers, so much bad advice saying it can't be done.
NatashaLee
Rep:
?
Hey guys

Thanks for the replies I spoke to my tutor and he said we can just give him the log in details

We were allowed to use webs because the actual assignment isn't a website, it's a project in our entrepreneurial module. We're had a range of presentation and 'warm up tasks' to complete along with a business plan and website on our own product idea, so he allowed webs to be used

Appreciate all the help
I did nearly get it onto a cd, but I could get the pictures to load I think I hadn't put the pictures folder in the main file correctly but I did try, luckily it obviously doesn't matter now, but thanks everyone

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (738)
33.92%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (929)
42.69%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (413)
18.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (96)
4.41%

Watched Threads