HappyHumanist
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Right, so I'm revising for my OCR AS Cells, Exchange and Transport F211 exam and have got into a bit of a muddle. All the textooks are really vague when it comes to the cytoskeleton and microtubules/microfilaments. I've got a few questions which hopefully someone can clarify for me:

1) What do microtubules do?

2) What do microfilaments do?

3) Is there a difference between the undulipodium and the flagella?

4) The spindle fibres in mitosis are made of microfilaments or microtubules?

Thank you!
sunshinexox
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
1) Microtubules are protein tubes, which is involved in cell division (mitosis and meiosis); used for movement and transports. It is found in the centrioles.

2) Microfilaments is a protein fires that can contract, which are usually found in muscles.

3) I haven't learnt about those, Edexcel does not include those, sorry :P

4) Spindle fibres in mitosis are made up of microtubules as I stated above, since centrioles are present.
EvasiveRose
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by HappyHumanist)
Right, so I'm revising for my OCR AS Cells, Exchange and Transport F211 exam and have got into a bit of a muddle. All the textooks are really vague when it comes to the cytoskeleton and microtubules/microfilaments. I've got a few questions which hopefully someone can clarify for me:

1) What do microtubules do?

2) What do microfilaments do?

3) Is there a difference between the undulipodium and the flagella?

4) The spindle fibres in mitosis are made of microfilaments or microtubules?

Thank you!
1) Microtubules (formed from the protein tubulin) form the spindle fibre during mitosis
2) Microfilaments are the network structures which run through the cell and act as it's skeleton (they're made from the protein actin; they basically help strengthen and support the cell; are a part of the cytoskeleton)
3) The undulopodium refers to both the flagella and cillia; the cillia is usually shorter than the cell and there's more than two of them whilst the flagella is longer than the cell and there is usually only 1 or 2 of them; aid cell movement; contain microtubules for cell movement; so they help the cytoskeleton carry out its role of providing movement
4)Microtubules

*Sorry if this is confusing. Feel free to ask me any more questions
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (170)
14.59%
I'm not sure (54)
4.64%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (343)
29.44%
I have already dropped out (35)
3%
I'm not a current university student (563)
48.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed