London Marathon 2014 Watch

k9markiii
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
The Virgin Money London Marathon is the highlight of the year for many long distance runners and a chance to take part in one of the toughest endurance feats. The 26.2 mile course starts in Greenwich Park, running near the Thames and past many of the famous highlights of London and finishing along the mall outside Buckingham Palace. Over 30,000 people will be taking part in this year's race.

This year Mo Farah will be competing in his first competitive marathon. The British distance runner shot to fame after winning gold in the 5000m and 10,000m in the 2012 London Olympics. Since then he's planning to take on the much longer marathon distance, having come second in New York Half Marathon last month. Do you think Mo has what it takes to win?

Many people from TSR will be taking part in the race and we hope to track them live below. If you are taking part please post your race number so we can update your progress.

Mo's Results

NameStart5K10K15K20KHalf25K30K35K40KFinish
Mo Farah0:0014:4829:5644:5059:551;03:081;14:471;30:051;45:412;01:332;08:21

Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't reckon Farah will win tbh.

He may well beat the current British record but after his collapse at the end of the half marathon i don't expect him to win against the seasoned marathon runners.
Advanced Subsidiary
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Very good thread. Surprised there isn't any more posts in here. Will be watching to see his things turn out.
k9markiii
Rep:
?
(Original post by Motorbiker)
I don't reckon Farah will win tbh.

He may well beat the current British record but after his collapse at the end of the half marathon i don't expect him to win against the seasoned marathon runners.
Hmm. I really don't know I think he'll be in contention, he fell around half way into the New York Half but he's been training at 120 miles per week for the last six months. I don't know how much effect running on home soil will have. :crossedf:
happysmile
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not 18 yet
So though I would've loved to, I couldn't run in the London Marathon...
mccrae01
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I run competitively, but I'm too young to do London

I know someone in the mini marathon though - I would have tried to get in for that myself but I'm abroad at the moment.
k9markiii
Rep:
?
(Original post by mccrae01)

I know someone in the mini marathon though - I would have tried to get in for that myself but I'm abroad at the moment.
Are you aiming to do London marathon in the future?
mynameisntbobk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Love watching the London marathon. Good luck to everyone taking part
mccrae01
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by k9markiii)
Are you aiming to do London marathon in the future?
Possibly-probably once I get through uni though
Robbie242
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I might eventually do a marathon, but for now I'll watch my bro do one
k9markiii
Rep:
?
(Original post by Robbie242)
Is he running tomorrow? Best of luck.
Robbie242
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is he running tomorrow? Best of luck.
Yep he is, thanks
k9markiii
Rep:
?
So Mo did well but was a little disappointed not to beat the British record.

New course record by Wilson Kipsang of 2;04:26
mccrae01
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not surprised -you can't expect to win a world record pace race in your first marathon.
k9markiii
Rep:
?
Not surprised -you can't expect to win a world record pace race in your first marathon.
Friend from my uni finished in 2;42:18
meessime
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I should've been here with my cadets
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Kipsang is a don. No messing, just hard running.

My friend ran and came in the top 60. His reaction to everything put me off running a marathon for a good few years yet!
k9markiii
Rep:
?
(Original post by rockrunride)

My friend ran and came in the top 60. His reaction to everything put me off running a marathon for a good few years yet!
I've been weighing up whether I want to do one next year. I think I'm going to continue focussing on the shorter distances until I start to plateau. I probably can't afford the time to do full training in my final year of uni either.
She-Ra
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I ran it in 2007 - it was the most amazing experience. London has the best supporters in the world.... the route is stunning too! It was so hot the year I did it the locals sprayed us with their garden hosepipes as the official shower sprays had stopped working. Legends.

It was a massive commitment in terms of training, especially as running was not really my thing, I did it for Cancer Research for my mum as she was poorly at the time and I was living in Brum. I saw my training as the time I would have put into caring for her if I was in Brighton - it helped me to stay really positive!

I would encourage as many people as possible to try a marathon - London is incredible, Brighton is also becoming bigger and bigger. Us Brightonians come out in force to support it now and C4 even produce a highlight show. You will learn things you never knew about yourself and meet some truly wonderful people who each have a beautiful story to tell. It is magic.

When I was watching the start yesterday morning I had goose bumps - London has such a community feel and I love hearing all the personal journey stories. Every single runner is an inspiration.

Even if it's once in a life time, do it - marathon running rocks!

(Original post by happysmile)
Not 18 yet
So though I would've loved to, I couldn't run in the London Marathon...
Deffo do it when you get to 18 - it's brilliant

What's the mini marathon?

(Original post by Robbie242)
You should How did you brother get on?

(Original post by rockrunride)

That's incredible, your pal sounds like a pro - doesn't sound like he enjoyed it though?

I've been weighing up whether I want to do one next year. I think I'm going to continue focussing on the shorter distances until I start to plateau. I probably can't afford the time to do full training in my final year of uni either.
K9 - I think you'd smash it based on how many miles you ran at the beginning of this year!
Robbie242
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by She-Ra)
I ran it in 2007 - it was the most amazing experience. London has the best supporters in the world.... the route is stunning too! It was so hot the year I did it the locals sprayed us with their garden hosepipes as the official shower sprays had stopped working. Legends.

It was a massive commitment in terms of training, especially as running was not really my thing, I did it for Cancer Research for my mum as she was poorly at the time and I was living in Brum. I saw my training as the time I would have put into caring for her if I was in Brighton - it helped me to stay really positive!

I would encourage as many people as possible to try a marathon - London is incredible, Brighton is also becoming bigger and bigger. Us Brightonians come out in force to support it now and C4 even produce a highlight show. You will learn things you never knew about yourself and meet some truly wonderful people who each have a beautiful story to tell. It is magic.

When I was watching the start yesterday morning I had goose bumps - London has such a community feel and I love hearing all the personal journey stories. Every single runner is an inspiration.

Even if it's once in a life time, do it - marathon running rocks!

Deffo do it when you get to 18 - it's brilliant

What's the mini marathon?

You should How did you brother get on?

That's incredible, your pal sounds like a pro - doesn't sound like he enjoyed it though?

K9 - I think you'd smash it based on how many miles you ran at the beginning of this year!
45minutes faster than last year, he completed in 4hours 55minutes! and we saw him twice which was great, just before mudshoot and near blackheath town centre
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (61)
8.5%
I used to but I don't now (17)
2.37%
No, but I want to start (269)
37.47%
No, I am unable to (172)
23.96%
No, I chose not to (199)
27.72%