The Student Room Group

What's the Bath placement year like?

Hi,

At the moment I have an offer for economics at both Bath and Exeter and am trying to choose between them.
If I go to Bath I will probably do the placement year and as this is one of the deciding factors I was hoping someone whose done one at Bath or anywhere else could tell me what it's like.
Basically:
Is it fun/interesting?
What are the chances of getting a good placement?
Is it worth doing or will an internship be just as good?

Reply 1
Interested to know for Exeter too, as they do offer the placement year...
Reply 2
I am at Exeter, and am at my placement right now. It is great, and is with a well known company. I originally signed up for the placement year, but in my second year decided to change it to half Uni. Program in Europe, and half placement. So I get to do both, which is great.
Reply 3
By the way, I had no problem getting a placement. I had 3 offers, and took the one I thought would be best for me.
Reply 4
Original post by Film
By the way, I had no problem getting a placement. I had 3 offers, and took the one I thought would be best for me.

Ahh really good to hear. Got a couple questions though. Will be taking the BA Economics & Finance.

I've heard you've to have like a 60% in your grades before you can go on placement. And that in the 1st/2nd year there are additional lessons if you were to go for the placement?

Was it easy applying for the placement(be it 6months or a year) to the big banks/FIs/IBs? I've also heard that it'll be easier to gain acceptance as they're more keen on hiring someone for 6mths/year rather than a 4 weeks intern. Also, able to name the companies?

Curious, how's the pay like? And if say the company is based in London, do you actually have to pay for the rent or will the company pay for you?
Reply 5
The additional lessons are essentially workshops, where you work on the CV, practice interviewing, and simulate assessment days. There is not a lot of before and after prep needed. The pay can very by bank, but it is about 1000 pounds per week. You must pay all expenses with this(housing,food etc.)
Reply 6
Original post by Film
The additional lessons are essentially workshops, where you work on the CV, practice interviewing, and simulate assessment days. There is not a lot of before and after prep needed. The pay can very by bank, but it is about 1000 pounds per week. You must pay all expenses with this(housing,food etc.)

Ahh 1000 pounds per week, fair enough...

Was it easy applying for the placement(be it 6months or a year) to the big banks/FIs/IBs? I've also heard that it'll be easier to gain acceptance as they're more keen on hiring someone for 6mths/year rather than a 4 weeks intern.
Reply 7
Thanks for the advice. Didn't really pay much attention to these things at Exeter's open day cause I wasn't planning on a sandwich year at the time.
Been really annoying the last few days cause Exeter's undergrad module list has been down as well so I can't check the modules XD
Can I just ask quickly, how mathematical is Exeter's course?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending