The Student Room Group

Sainsbury's thread Mk IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Junaid1998
Yes always make up hours. I was meant to be in at 7 got in at 830 today.. and no not yet just colleagues on my department have a good laugh lol

It would be an issue if you're in the 12 week probation period, but if not, and they can see your improving or taking steps to make it not happen then it should be ok. I wouldn't be surprised if they call you in for a meeting about it if it starts affecting the store (I.e, no cashiers etc)
Original post by princesshan
Thank you, I'm off for the next week so I'll have to have a think about things. Who would I hand the letter in to, is it HR or dept manager?

Either really....my hr department is only covered for 24-30 hrs a week so people tend to give to dept or store manager normally
I have an in store interview in a few days.Could someone please tell me what questions they ask or what the interview process is like in general????
Original post by amvns
I have an in store interview in a few days.Could someone please tell me what questions they ask or what the interview process is like in general????

First of all, good luck! Hopefully this helps a bit, but the interviews tend to go something like this...
You will get your documents checked, so the stuff they've asked to see like you proof of address, passport...basically whatever they tell you to take on the phone. If you don't bring them, you get sent home!
Next they'll ask you around 3-5 questions dependent on the role you've applied for. These are relatively common interview questions "why do you want to work for Sainsburys", "Tell me a time that you've worked in a team", "Give me an example of when YOU delivered excellent customer service"...yours may differ slightly. My interview descended in to a chat, they basically want to see that you can chat with customers and that you smile! Be yourself and be as comfortable as you can be here.
Following this, you'll be taken on to the shop floor to complete an exercise. This could be something like walking the shop and pointing out good and bad points (make sure you point out both!) So things like big queues, no queues, friendly cashier, messy shelves, clear/blocked aisles, excessive amount of rubbish, items in the wrong places. Other exercises are things like you'll get given a basket of items and asked to put them back in the right places and helping a customer to pack their bags. There's a few and different interviewers prefer different ones as well as them being for different roles.
Following this you'll be asked for feedback, so explaining why you pointed out certain things on your exercises or you may simply be asked how you did. If you feel you did everything well, say so, but give reasons why (chatty with the customer, separated raw/cooked food, greeted customer, smiled) if you feel you could have done something better, say so too, but avoid saying things like the customer wasn't chatty, was rude etc.
That should be the last part of your interview. The interviewer will prompt as necessary throughout but this is no bad thing!

Once again, good luck!
I know this is a really silly question but I have a sainsburys interview tomrrow and I'm struggling to come up with a good example of good customer service could anyone help? Thank you
Original post by Charlielakes1
Thank you so much

Hey, Just to let you know. I've been invited to a induction day. So, use my advice!
I know this is a really silly question but I have a sainsburys interview tomrrow and I'm struggling to come up with a good example of good customer service could anyone help? Thank you

Check this link out.
https://www.thebalance.com/interview-questions-about-customer-service-2063349
Thank you! Interviews today wish me luck!
How long is the notice period for sainsburys? Im starting uni in september and am currently on holiday (back working on the 18th of aug) and would ideally like to be done working completely 2 weeks from then but i hear that the period will vary?
I have an interview for a supervisor role in a local store tomorrow... anyone have any advice for me?
How long does it take to know you got the job?
Original post by pusha a
How long is the notice period for sainsburys? Im starting uni in september and am currently on holiday (back working on the 18th of aug) and would ideally like to be done working completely 2 weeks from then but i hear that the period will vary?

Normally it is 4 weeks, but I know of cases where people have given less notice, in one case somebody literally gave a days notice...but this didn't really go down well! If you're on holiday but still somewhere near the store then I'd drop the letter in as soon as you can so that schedules/cover can still be sorted. Another way is by ringing the store to speak to your line manager and let them know over the phone your intentions, then the letter on your first day back.
If you do ring though, just start the letter something like "Following my telephone conversation with [name] on [date]..." So that the initial date is recorded, thus you still giving 4 weeks notice!
Original post by olly_putp
I have an interview for a supervisor role in a local store tomorrow... anyone have any advice for me?

Haven't had one in a local, but just remember in a local you will be responsible for running the store (once trained). Look over standard interview questions for generic retail supervisor/management and prepare some examples of team work, leading a team, hitting targets, making important decisions, successes you've had.
How long does it take to know you got the job?

It depends how many interviews there are and when they are. Sainsburys can't decide until ALL candidates have had the opportunity to be interviewed. From then, it's not long at all before you hear, less than a week sometimes, and unless it's changed you'll get a text message/email asking you to contact the same place that phone interviewed you.
Original post by VickyTink
Normally it is 4 weeks, but I know of cases where people have given less notice, in one case somebody literally gave a days notice...but this didn't really go down well! If you're on holiday but still somewhere near the store then I'd drop the letter in as soon as you can so that schedules/cover can still be sorted. Another way is by ringing the store to speak to your line manager and let them know over the phone your intentions, then the letter on your first day back.
If you do ring though, just start the letter something like "Following my telephone conversation with [name] on [date]..." So that the initial date is recorded, thus you still giving 4 weeks notice!

Unfortunately I'm halfway round the world so can't drop in/phone them up or anything. I was thinking email? But I'm not sure if this is a viable way to contact Sainsbury's management :/
Original post by pusha a
Unfortunately I'm halfway round the world so can't drop in/phone them up or anything. I was thinking email? But I'm not sure if this is a viable way to contact Sainsbury's management :/

Email would also work.
Got to the interview and they didn't even ask most of the questions expected all they said was "tell me about yourself" then had to do a picture assessment task then finished!
Got to the interview and they didn't even ask most of the questions expected all they said was "tell me about yourself" then had to do a picture assessment task then finished!

That's the old style interview. They should have been phased out everywhere by now!! I had that one but had 3 questions, a basic maths assessment and a video/picture exercise when I was interviewed.
Original post by VickyTink
That's the old style interview. They should have been phased out everywhere by now!! I had that one but had 3 questions, a basic maths assessment and a video/picture exercise when I was interviewed.
oh wow, I'm just happy it was easy wasn't expecting it to be that simple.
Guys, has anyone worked as a travel money advisor @ sainsburys? I'm thinking to apply but not too sure on what to expect

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending