The Student Room Group

Catered vs Self Catered

so Im currently doing my accommodation application, but I'm no sure which is best catered or self catered. anyopinions
Reply 1
I've gone for self-catered.

Way more flexibility in terms of meal times
I can eat out without feeling guilty about how I've already paid for a meal
Catered halls rarely have an oven so I wouldn't be able to make cakes
I'll have to cook for the rest of my life, may as well start sooner to get the experience
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
I'm also going for self-catering because it's the cheapest option for most Uni's.

In 2nd and 3rd years you'll have to cook your own food anyway unless you're able or want to continue staying in catered accommodation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I didnt even think about the fact thst itvsaves money. Think it better be self catered
Reply 4
Same query here. I think that catered is better since you actually wake up with something to eat. But again, money wise, self-catered could be less expensive. I am trying to figure this out. I mean if you have nearby cheap shops, it would be great! Self catered it is! But if you don't... well, you will waste time+money to reach cheap eats destination.
Ugh I am so tron between the two.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Depends on the situation, I lived in catered halls a few years back and the first one had a small kitchen with 2 cookers and 1 tiny fridge for like 80 students but that was enough since most people ate in, then I moved to a larger block due to noise and each floor had 2 microwaves but no cooker or fridge so things like buying milk to drink was impossible, and I was too tired to wake up before 7.30 and go to canteen, come back and go to class and missed lunch sometimes due to either sleeping in on day off, going out the night before, or just the time class finished meant I had no time to get to canteen or even if I did I would queue for as much as 30 minutes so had no free time.

Catered halls are a lifesaver when hung over or swamped with work though.

Quick Reply

Latest