The Student Room Group

People seem to think I am sensitive, it is news to me.

Put simply, people think I am sensitive and yet I (without fail) start ignoring people in my life and ditching them when I have built friendships and relationships with them.

For example, on another thread a guy called me sensitive for apparently being 'emotionally attached' to a gym community. This was in response for me saying I felt guilty for just leaving them and going to a rival gym that is cheaper. They were good to me and we got along well... and that makes me sensitive for leaving their gym to go to a new one?

Another very recent example. I have been seeing a girl. We both come from religious Christian backgrounds. I have had sex with her twice and she has opened up to me a lot about her dad dying and her having to look after her younger siblings. She also told me about her confessions to the church. Quite naturally, I got a bit attached, but, I have deleted her number and I am effectively blocking her from my life because i feel like it could get out of hand in terms of intensity. She could really hurt me if I give her the opportunity to do so. Does this make me sensitive... really? Perhaps this example does, but it does not mean i cannot protect myself.

I am perhaps the most self-serving person I know. I am sensitive yes, but not in the way of letting it causing harm to myself. In fact, it means i'm ever so often on alert with things.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Have you broken up with the girl you're seeing or have you just blocked her out of your life with no warning? :s-smilie:
Reply 2
Isn't this thread just you being sensitive about being called sensitive?
Reply 3
Did you weep upon hearing this news, or have I radically misinterpreted both the tone and subtext of the originating post?
Reply 4
Original post by lilypear
Have you broken up with the girl you're seeing or have you just blocked her out of your life with no warning? :s-smilie:

The latter. I was seeing her but now I have started just blocking her out without warning. I am honestly afraid of my feelings for her and I don't want to be hurt if she changes her mind or decides she does not really like me that much.

She is all adamant about me confessing to my mum that i am seeing her when i know my mum will know that i am having sex with her before marriage (she is big on honesty in the family). It was not meant to be anything serious, only a fwb situation, but yesterday she started emotionally outpouring to me about her dad dying and i am honestly a bit freaked out by how i could care for her. I don't want the baggage.
Reply 5
As a serious point though, don't be a dick. Tell her you're leaving, preferably telling her the real reason why but at least tell her.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
The latter. I was seeing her but now I have started just blocking her out without warning. I am honestly afraid of my feelings for her and I don't want to be hurt if she changes her mind or decides she does not really like me that much.

She is all adamant about me confessing to my mum that i am seeing her when i know my mum will know that i am having sex with her before marriage (she is big on honesty in the family). It was not meant to be anything serious, only a fwb situation, but yesterday she started emotionally outpouring to me about her dad dying and i am honestly a bit freaked out by how i could care for her. I don't want the baggage.

Lol you're a dick

You're a dick and a wuss

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Do you think people actually care lmao
Reply 9
Original post by lilypear
Lol you're a dick

I don't want to be hurt, is that so bad really? It is all moving too quickly for me, and I don't feel in control after yesterday. Why would she tell me about her dad having died a few years ago after we had just had sex once? I did not expect this overly attached type of sentimentality. She was talking about how she had to comfort and basically lie about her dad dying to her younger siblings and that her mum was always remarrying. And also how she was searching for an answer from God. Does this not all sound a bit too intense for a girl i barely know?

I mean, I want her, I really want her, but i don't see it going too well. I feel so weak when I could not stop myself and just tell her yesterday. I try really hard not to take advantage of her emotionally and i just want to leave now and yes i will tell her , but the main thing is that i don't need the baggage.
Reply 10
I don't want to be hurt, is that so bad really? It is all moving too quickly for me, and I don't feel in control after yesterday. Why would she tell me about her dad having died a few years ago after we had just had sex once? I did not expect this overly attached type of sentimentality. She was talking about how she had to comfort and basically lie about her dad dying to her younger siblings and that her mum was always remarrying. And also how she was searching for an answer from God. Does this not all sound a bit too intense for a girl i barely know?

I mean, I want her, I really want her, but i don't see it going too well. I feel so weak when I could not stop myself and just tell her yesterday. I try really hard not to take advantage of her emotionally and i just want to leave now and yes i will tell her , but the main thing is that i don't need the baggage.

You are a dick. You need help.
Reply 11

I mean, I want her, I really want her, but i don't see it going too well. I feel so weak when I could not stop myself and just tell her yesterday. I try really hard not to take advantage of her emotionally and i just want to leave now and yes i will tell her, but the main thing is that i don't need the baggage.

Do it now, you ignominious cur. I make no secret of being self-aggrandising, but at least I always lay my cards on the table.
Reply 12

To reiterate; you're a dick.

And your post and attitude to her shows how sensitive you are my delicate flower :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by marinaim
To reiterate; you're a dick.

And you're post and attitude to her shows how sensitive you are my delicate flower :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

*Your

No, we barely know each other, we had sex once and she gives me all of her emotional baggage? Can I reasonably expect this? How am i even meant to react ?
"Sensitive" isn't the right word, but the OP appears to have serious problems with emotion. "Emotionally retarded" might perhaps be a more appropriate term.

I feel very sorry for the girl. She deserved better.
Sounds like you're a very emotionally immature person who runs away from emotional situations instead of facing them and dealing with them like a grown up. The fact that you are trying to hide from your emotions and emotional situations and block feelings out probably does make you oversensitive at times, because not dealing with your emotions is not healthy, and they find ways of coming out and showing themselves in other ways if you bottle them up.

Its perfectly understandable that you're scared of getting hurt, but getting hurt sometimes is an inevitable part of life, and if you don't take the risk, you'll struggle both learning to get hurt and get over getting hurt, and also you won't experience the positive and fulfilling sides of taking chances with things like relationships, because you just run away before you allow it to happen.

I'd suggest you stop blocking this girl and talk to her, she has tried to open up and let you into her life, if you can't deal with that, you ought to tell her that you don't have the emotional capacity to deal with a relationship and the moment and that its your problem, and not her. If you must run away from the possibility of getting hurt, do so while causing minimum hurt to others.
*Your

No, we barely know each other, we had sex once and she gives me all of her emotional baggage? Can I reasonably expect this? How am i even meant to react ?

You say that you barely know her and emotional baggage yet you said you really liked/want her??

You just sound scared to me and if you act that with every girl you like then you'll end up lonely. That was a really crappy way to treat her

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply 17
*Your

I know, couldn't edit on my phone.
Still could have the simple simple courtesy to er, tell her.
Still sensitive.
Maybe you have an avoidant attachment style, what you did to the girl seems really bad tbh

sounds like youve misheard, youre not sensitive, youre insensitive...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending