Changing from full time to part time

Watch
MSI_10
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Currently near the end of first year maths, However, there is a strong possibility that I will get a full time job by this September. If so, then I will need to study part time which if fine with my Uni.

How will SFE deal with this and what should I do; is there a time limit for when I should apply for the next year because I am only going to change to part time assuming I get the job.

Also, will going part time affect any scholarships I currently have?

Thanks in advance
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MSI_10)
Currently near the end of first year maths, However, there is a strong possibility that I will get a full time job by this September. If so, then I will need to study part time which if fine with my Uni.

How will SFE deal with this and what should I do; is there a time limit for when I should apply for the next year because I am only going to change to part time assuming I get the job.

Also, will going part time affect any scholarships I currently have?

Thanks in advance
If your going to be a full time student next year you need to make sure you've reapplied by June for student finance. Applications for part time finance only open in the summer and you can only get a tuition fee loan (so no maintenance loan or grant).

Whether it effects any scholarships will depends on your university.

You will probally need to call student finance to let them know if you change from full to part time
MSI_10
Rep:
?
(Original post by jelly1000)
If your going to be a full time student next year you need to make sure you've reapplied by June for student finance. Applications for part time finance only open in the summer and you can only get a tuition fee loan (so no maintenance loan or grant).

Whether it effects any scholarships will depends on your university.

You will probally need to call student finance to let them know if you change from full to part time

Ah okay cheers. I'm in a sticky situation because I don't think it is until August in which I'll know whether or not I get the job or not.

Is there a penalty for applying late to student finance? I think I know one person at my Uni who applied late but still was able to get it, if i recall correctly
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ah okay cheers. I'm in a sticky situation because I don't think it is until August in which I'll know whether or not I get the job or not.

Is there a penalty for applying late to student finance? I think I know one person at my Uni who applied late but still was able to get it, if i recall correctly
Not exactly, you can apply up to 9 months after the start of the course and still recieve that years money but student finance can't guarentee you will recieve it in time. Tbh if I were you I'd do the application online for next year now and phone up and cancel it if you get the job.
MSI_10
Rep:
?
(Original post by jelly1000)
Not exactly, you can apply up to 9 months after the start of the course and still recieve that years money but student finance can't guarentee you will recieve it in time. Tbh if I were you I'd do the application online for next year now and phone up and cancel it if you get the job.
Yeah not receiving the money in time isn't a problem at all. Thank you.

In regards to your final point, do you mean to apply for full time finance now and if i get the job, then i tell them to request for part time funding instead?
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah not receiving the money in time isn't a problem at all. Thank you.

In regards to your final point, do you mean to apply for full time finance now and if i get the job, then i tell them to request for part time funding instead?
Yes that's what I'd suggest unless your happy to wait until August to apply.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (48)
16.22%
I'm not sure (8)
2.7%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (101)
34.12%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.35%
I'm not a current university student (135)
45.61%

Watched Threads