The Student Room Group

What A Levels do I take?

Hey there!

Okay, I'm seriously stressing out over what A Levels I should take! I'm quite interested in Computer Science and potentially want to go down that career route, so would A Level Mathematics and Computing/ICT be good (Alongside other A Levels)? I'm also interested in Business and Digital Marketing, so would A Level Computing be useful here as well or would A Level Business Studies be better? Also, I want to keep my options open as much as possible, so would A Level History and English Literature, alongside the other A Levels, keep my options open? Level of difficulty for each A Level I've said would be much appreciated☺️!

Predicted Grades:
Business - A*
English Literature - A/A*
Maths - A
History - A

Sorry about the multitude of questions here!
Thank you😜!
Original post by ofmiceandchloe
Hey there!

Okay, I'm seriously stressing out over what A Levels I should take! I'm quite interested in Computer Science and potentially want to go down that career route, so would A Level Mathematics and Computing/ICT be good (Alongside other A Levels)? I'm also interested in Business and Digital Marketing, so would A Level Computing be useful here as well or would A Level Business Studies be better? Also, I want to keep my options open as much as possible, so would A Level History and English Literature, alongside the other A Levels, keep my options open? Level of difficulty for each A Level I've said would be much appreciated☺️!

Predicted Grades:
Business - A*
Maths - A
History - A

Thank you😜!

Don't stress about it - the stress will cause you to make the wrong decision! Trust me, I should know, I had to switch 2 of my subjects and drop one until I found my perfect A Level combination.

You don't necessarily need Computing or ICT to go down the Computer Science route. Sure, it'd support your application well and it'd perhaps give you a greater idea of whether or not you definitely want to do that, but I know some people who haven't done an A Level in either and both have offers from Imperial, Durham and UCL amongst other universities. Maths is a definite must for it though, pretty sure the two guys I know study Further Maths too.

Business Studies would be better for something like Business and Digital Marketing, but both ICT and Business together make a good application for a business-related degree, so it's tricky. It's important to note, however, that Business Studies and ICT are considered 'soft' A Levels - you generally want to limit yourself to as few as possible of these.
Reply 2
Original post by moggington
Don't stress about it - the stress will cause you to make the wrong decision! Trust me, I should know, I had to switch 2 of my subjects and drop one until I found my perfect A Level combination.

You don't necessarily need Computing or ICT to go down the Computer Science route. Sure, it'd support your application well and it'd perhaps give you a greater idea of whether or not you definitely want to do that, but I know some people who haven't done an A Level in either and both have offers from Imperial, Durham and UCL amongst other universities. Maths is a definite must for it though, pretty sure the two guys I know study Further Maths too.

Business Studies would be better for something like Business and Digital Marketing, but both ICT and Business together make a good application for a business-related degree, so it's tricky. It's important to note, however, that Business Studies and ICT are considered 'soft' A Levels - you generally want to limit yourself to as few as possible of these.

So would it be best if I take say Maths and Business Studies instead of Computing to keep my options open? Thanks for the reply by the way!
So would it be best if I take say Maths and Business Studies instead of Computing to keep my options open? Thanks for the reply by the way!

I've just looked into it in further detail on UCAS, you might want to have a look too to compare the different universities and what subjects/grades they asked for. Some asked for two science subjects, of which Mathematics would count as one, whilst another one asked for an A grade in A Level Mathematics and mentioned 'those studying A Level Computing may receive a lower offer'.

So perhaps Computing is the way to go, after all. It's also worth bearing in mind that you don't necessarily need Business Studies to go down the business route at university, especially for something like marketing. Your A Level choices are broad and would therefore demonstrate that you're an all-rounder. Again, worth investigating in greater detail, but I'm pretty sure a university wouldn't specify that you must have an A Level in Business Studies.
Hey there!

Predicted Grades:
Business - A*
Maths - A
History - A

Thank you😜!

Business studies is generally considered a 'soft' subject, and almost certainly wouldn't be required to study any aspect of business at uni. You could do economics if your interested in markets and whatnot.
For CompSci, it seems that further maths would certainly be very useful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest