The Student Room Group

Chemistry Help please - urgent for A-Levels :)

Hi guys, thanks for reading :smile: I know i might sound really DUMB asking this question, as it might be already obvious, but i can't seen to grasp it.

Basically i wanted to know about the compensation of energy. for example, in the textbook it says (about carbon's ability to form 4 covalent bonds by removal of 2s electron):

'the energy released in forming four, rather than two covalent bonds MORE THAN COMPENSATES for the small amount of energy required to promote from the 2s into the 2p orbital.'

what does this mean? so I know that energy needed is accounted for by the energy gained, but how? and why should energy be compensated for? Also, does this mean that the energy released is used to run this reaction? But that can only happen if the reaction happens.

I'm confused. thanks for all contributions.:smile:
Reply 1
Oh, I was really hoping to get some answers quickly. LOL i know i might sound dumb, but i think it is important that i am aware of this, as energy is one of the main topics in chemistry.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
It's basically saying that the energy given off in the formation of four bonds is large enough to compensate for the energy required to promote the electrons.

What it means is that the needed amount of energy to promote the electrons is easily matched by the energy given off in the bonding stage. It might be easier to think of this like a normal reaction rather than promoting electrons. For example, the energy required to break the bond is the Cl2 bond is more than compensated by the energy released in the formation of the NaCl bond.

How, well we know that bond forming gives off energy, thus the energy required to promote the electrons is being matched, if not exceeded by the bonding.

Why, because if we have a reaction it's generally going to be a better and more stable reaction if it is exothermic. In this particular case, you need to give the atom the energy to promote the electrons, no energy, no promotion therefore no reaction therefore sad and bored Chemist.

Also, partly. It is saying that the electrons need energy to be promoted, + energy, but more energy is given out to keep the reaction working, lots of - energy, so we can say that energy from the reaction is allowing the reaction to work in a way. Generally in the real world the reaction would take in energy from the world to promote the electrons, then repay this "debt" by the creation of bonds being exothermic.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Zaros
It's basically saying that the energy given off in the formation of four bonds is large enough to compensate for the energy required to promote the electrons.

What it means is that the needed amount of energy to promote the electrons is easily matched by the energy given off in the bonding stage. It might be easier to think of this like a normal reaction rather than promoting electrons. For example, the energy required to break the bond is the Cl2 bond is more than compensated by the energy released in the formation of the NaCl bond.

How, well we know that bond forming gives off energy, thus the energy required to promote the electrons is being matched, if not exceeded by the bonding.

Why, because if we have a reaction it's generally going to be a better and more stable reaction if it is exothermic. In this particular case, you need to give the atom the energy to promote the electrons, no energy, no promotion therefore no reaction therefore sad and bored Chemist.

Also, partly. It is saying that the electrons need energy to be promoted, + energy, but more energy is given out to keep the reaction working, lots of - energy, so we can say that energy from the reaction is allowing the reaction to work in a way. Generally in the real world the reaction would take in energy from the world to promote the electrons, then repay this "debt" by the creation of bonds being exothermic.

Hope that helps :smile:
Thanks so much! This actually really helped :smile: 1 rep coming your way :smile: Are you also an AS chemistry student? If so how's it going? I'm sure like me you have no life :biggrin: Haha. Thanks once again :smile:
Reply 4
Yes I am a AS Chemistry student :smile: It's going okay, but I'm probably the worst type of student because I always jump ahead of the syllabus. I'll admit I don't have much of a life, but I have a girlfriend, so I'm not completely no lifing it. Hope you Chemistry will go well :smile: and if you need more help feel free to send me a message :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest