Do you think factory farming will ever end?

Watch
AL1940
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
It's undeniably cruel, inhumane and immoral. The main reason for its existence is due to the high demand for meat. Are there any ways around this e.g. another more humane way to meet the demand of meat, that could lead to it ending. Also there is the development of in vitro meat that scientists are saying will inevitably have to become the norm within 20-30 years due to factory farming not being sustainable. If this happens will factory farms come to an end?
Also do you think that in 100 or 200 years time we'll look back on the way we treat animals now in the same way we now look back on the slave trade?
Limpopo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No..for the foreseeable future it is the future of food production. It is the ugly face of food production that the system seeks to hide from most people and of which most people are blissfully unaware and/or choose to ignore.

The truth is that world populations will eventually be the death of all of us. Currently the only ones who die are generally in the vast plains of Africa or poor areas of Asia and South America. We have charities but essentially we choose for them to die and why? Because if those people had the same level of social and economic development as the developed western world, then the resources of planet earth would not sustain us all. We choose to let them suffer and die to save US from a worse situation.

They are outside,we are inside where its warm and safe.

The Capitalist system demands factory farming and mass production. We throw millions of tons of food away each day to support supermarkets and their just in time source to sale business model. We dont give the food to the starving because that would undermine price. We let them starve and die instead.

The future for food is a move to growing animal tissue for consumption on massive laboratories in the same way as we now grow fruit and veg hydroponically in massive polytunnel developments.

after world population growth defeats that strategy..well we may start to eat eachother or maybe pelletised space age type nutrition will have come on stream and the actual taste of good quality food will be long forgotten.
ihavemooedtoday
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Maybe we'll eventually all convert to Soylent https://campaign.soylent.me/soylent-free-your-body

Tasty food may become a luxury, that people do once in a while for fun, just like how we go to movies once in a while, etc, instead of out of necessity.
scrotgrot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No it won't end because food is only going to get more scarce, unless we can make this artificial meat thing cost-effective. I don't really care about the animals personally but I don't want to have to eat animals that have been fed on their friends' prion-filled head cheese and bulked out with pond water. That's the main reason I'm very wary of the US-Europe trade deal, I don't want to have to eat the absolute crap they have to eat.
Limpopo
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think we could build a strong case for cannibalism. Whats the point of planting carcasses in the ground to rot? either fillet them or feed them into power stations to generate energy.
skunkboy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No. Different people like different things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Limpopo)
I think we could build a strong case for cannibalism. Whats the point of planting carcasses in the ground to rot? either fillet them or feed them into power stations to generate energy.
I think both of those are a little too close to home. I'd be okay with using them for fertiliser, though.
Limpopo
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
I think both of those are a little too close to home. I'd be okay with using them for fertiliser, though.
Its becoming a more pressing problem though. Stiffs in their millions are occupying precious plots of Crown land and what are they doing? bugger all just sitting round rotting and placing obligations upon others to come visit and mope once in a while.

Clear the cemeteries,ban burials and feed them all into power stations .

Think how much real estate could be cleared and how much power could be generated.
Maid Marian
Report 6 years ago
It'll probably always exist in some form or another. It is really sad, but :dontknow:
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by scrotgrot)
No it won't end because food is only going to get more scarce, unless we can make this artificial meat thing cost-effective. I don't really care about the animals personally but I don't want to have to eat animals that have been fed on their friends' prion-filled head cheese and bulked out with pond water. That's the main reason I'm very wary of the US-Europe trade deal, I don't want to have to eat the absolute crap they have to eat.
:puke:

you done put me off my Cheeseburger Royale
Alfissti
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The industrial farming of cattle and live stock would only intensify in future, as prices go up and up the main thing that would develop further would be how to farm it vertically, using smaller footprints, primarily indoors and closer to urban areas. Logistics though highly efficient isn't cheap.

The general trend in developed countries is consumption of meat is on the decline, in countries such as Norway and Sweden less than half of households consume meat and many of the meat consuming households have reduced their overall consumption of meat many only have it for special occasions and just as many consume very little on a daily basis, even the military in Norway has started switching to 100% vegetarian diet only.

There are good opportunities to further develop industrial farming to be humane and environmentally friendly though as they do make good exports and the consumption of meat regardless of what PETA thinks would continue elsewhere in the world and is likely to increase as many developing countries become more wealthier and could afford to buy more meat.
Tom_green_day
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ihavemooedtoday)
Maybe we'll eventually all convert to Soylent https://campaign.soylent.me/soylent-free-your-body
But SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!
russellsteapot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Unlikely. I fully expect that we'll get our entire meat intake from spherical cows and ChickieNobs within 50 years.
OrlaCarmel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hopefully, it'll end. Just right now the world is full of crazy problems and people don't know where to start...

I like to think I'm at least helping the world a little bit by being a vegetarian and therefore not contributing any money towards factory farming.
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No. But we may have more of man-made meat in the future.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (29)
43.94%
Take autumn exams (23)
34.85%
Look for a job (1)
1.52%
Consider an apprenticeship (2)
3.03%
Take a year out (8)
12.12%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
4.55%

Watched Threads