First Year of uni easier than A2 year? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Ladyluck
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
AS i have taken a gap year, some of my mates at uni argue that their first year has been esier than the second year of A2.
Any opinions?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It wasn't in my case, the modules in the first year were actually quite hard, however the first year dosn't count for anything in most cases. All you have to is pass at 40% and you will be intot he second year. It won't make any difference to your final degree mark.

Its also quite hard to get used to the new surroundings and teaching methods at first as well. As you probably know at university they don't teach as such as its mainly research. All you get is lectures and practicals which explain the basics to pass at 40%, anything above 40% is yout own research.
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i wouldnt say this is easy at all! if you've done the owrrk before you'll probably find it easy but for me its like doing the entire a2 year in 3 months...

love Katy ***
tommyboy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
the work isn`'t always harder assuch (it can be, though), but it will probably be more fast-paced, and you have to get used to new "study techniques" (especially independent research) and the academic context of your discipline (although this willcome gradually throughout your degree).
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The pace is a huge difference, at college school you could miss a day and miss nothing, at college you would miss a lot but could easily miss the odd lecture, at university you miss so much the lectures are so intense.

I've not found the work load any greater in the second year but the subjects them selves are a lot harder so the less able tend to struggle more. Personaly I love programming so I don't the programming modules we have in the second year.
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
God no, first year was a lot harder than Upper Sixth. Most of the stuff was new and you kinda have to get used to learning a different way.
picju96
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Easier in the fact that there's only 1 subject to concentrate on, harder in the fact that it's a completely new way of learning, you're practically on your own and the sheer volume of stuff to learn. At the moment, none of it is particularly hard to understand, it's just the volume of stuff we're supposed to learn.
Nylex
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by picju96)
At the moment, none of it is particularly hard to understand
Lucky!
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Mine is so hard, its not really anything like what we did at A2 - sometimes something will come up in a lecture and you'll think 'Oh yeah, I recognise that from a-level' but then it gets taken to a much harder level. Some people just get it straight away, but then most of the class are sat there thinking 'eh?'. There's also so many reaction mechanisms that i'm supposed to know, and I just keep getting them all confused!!! I think generally science subjects are much harder than what you covered at A2.
Nylex
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Chicken)
Mine is so hard, its not really anything like what we did at A2 - sometimes something will come up in a lecture and you'll think 'Oh yeah, I recognise that from a-level' but then it gets taken to a much harder level. Some people just get it straight away, but then most of the class are sat there thinking 'eh?'. There's also so many reaction mechanisms that i'm supposed to know, and I just keep getting them all confused!!! I think generally science subjects are much harder than what you covered at A2.
That's pretty much the same here. Do you do equipartition of energy in Chemistry? No-one understood that when we did it, lol.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (84)
33.6%
No I don't (118)
47.2%
I work during the holidays (48)
19.2%

Watched Threads