Vegatarianism Watch

malena123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
What is everyone's view on it?

Personally, I was thinking of turning vegetarian a few years ago but decided no to due to the fact that there are some meats (pretty much just chicken tbh) I depend on too much to make me want to change. Also, none of my family are vegetarian so it would be harder to make separate meals for me.

I don't have anything against eating meat, I personally have the issue of the cruelty that animals face before they reach my plate... I guess that was the main reason I wanted to change.
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My opinion is identical to yours :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I couldn't do it. Reason? Bacon.
malena123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
Hahah yes, I love bacon:suith:
there's too much love
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ask yourself is supporting the meat industry moral or immoral?

Do the animals suffer in anyway from it?
Can you justify that?

Do you need to eat meat?
F1's Finest
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by malena123)

Personally, I was thinking of turning vegetarian a few years ago but decided no to due to the fact that there are some meats (pretty much just chicken tbh) I depend on too much to make me want to change. Also, none of my family are vegetarian so it would be harder to make separate meals for me.

I don't have anything against eating meat, I personally have the issue of the cruelty that animals face before they reach my plate... I guess that was the main reason I wanted to change.
It doesn't matter whether or not you think about animal cruelty and suffering of the animal for the meat. It's not like that will change just because you opt to become a vegetarian.

EDIT: before I get attacked, let me point out that I'm against animal cruelty to food (some pigs will get killed in a different way to pigs on another farm, no?), but that doesn't mean I should boycott eating meat.
PsychadelicScarf
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Eating meat is part of the 'circle of life'. How many animals woulds hesitate before eating you?
I'm all for eating meat, it tastes nice, its healthy. I can understand why some people chose to opt out, but really, what difference does the animal know? All it knows is life.
I only go for organic/free range because I don't think the animal needs to suffer before hand.
redferry
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I turned veggie for sustainability reasons but if someone serves me meat then I will eat it, I just choose not to spend my own money on it.
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
I thought that, but then I saw a video of a pig being thrown, kicked, punched and the likes at a farm that supposedly infamously claims to treat its animals well. It was screeching really loudly and I don't know if I can eat meat knowing that If I had full confidence in the fact that the animals were not going to be the subjects of cruelty, I wouldn't have such an issue with it

But alas, I'm yet to become a vegetarian so I suppose I'm being quite hypocritical

Posted from TSR Mobile
malena123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Changing Skies)
I thought that, but then I saw a video of a pig being thrown, kicked, punched and the likes at a farm that supposedly infamously claims to treat its animals well. It was screeching really loudly and I don't know if I can eat meat knowing that If I had full confidence in the fact that the animals were not going to be the subjects of cruelty, I wouldn't have such an issue with it

But alas, I'm yet to become a vegetarian so I suppose I'm being quite hypocritical

Posted from TSR Mobile
I guess that's the same with me, I hate animal cruelty and I will happily tell anyone that but I'm not a vegetarian either so I guess it's a sort of wasted comment.
redferry
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I guess that's the same with me, I hate animal cruelty and I will happily tell anyone that but I'm not a vegetarian either so I guess it's a sort of wasted comment.
You could always make more effort to eat ethically without actually giving up !eat, or even just cut down. I started out by cutting down meat to twice a week
redferry
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you are going to buy pork get pork from the UK as sow pens are illegal here
malena123
Rep:
?
(Original post by redferry)
You could always make more effort to eat ethically without actually giving up !eat, or even just cut down. I started out by cutting down meat to twice a week
Yeah, I guess that's a good idea... thanks!
malena123
Rep:
?
Oh, also: what is everyone opinion on veganism? (is that even the right word?)
DaveSmith99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It is an inconvenience at first yes, you have to decide if this inconvenience is worth more or less than all the suffering and cruelty that's inherent in the meat industry.
PricklyPorcupine
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well I don't have meat in 5 of my lunches every week but that's just because I hate sandwiches and everything else is too much hassle. Also, no red meat for me. I used to have a cow who came from a slaughterhouse
jeevanr21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

I've been a vegetarian for ten years now The reason I switched was the same as what you've said - animal cruelty.
PricklyPorcupine
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I saw a similar one only it was a pig being slaughtered Not going into too much detail but basically they 'stunned' it with an electric rod and then slit the stomach but it was still struggling and screaming. What bothers me is that pigs are very intelligent and have acute senses so they must feel it; they like being back-scratched too
TurboCretin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Vegatarianism? Is that the one where you only eat vegans?
Insanity514
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I live 2 lives: one vegetarian one non-vegetarian. I can truthfully say I love being a non-veg more than veg. However I don't like to have meat more than 2/3 times a week max firstly because it fills me up too much, secondly because eating certain meats too frequently lowers life expectancy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

14.09%
12.47%
12.36%
18.13%
23.09%
19.86%

Watched Threads