The Student Room Group

OCR Philosophy of Religion & Ethics ~ May 13th

Hi everyone. I am just really really worried about this exam, especially philosophy. I just don't understand some of the arguments e.g. for the existence of God. And I can't write essays and get feedback because my teacher takes ages to mark them - I gave her an essay in January and she hasn't given it back yet. Can someone help me please :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ojj_12
Hi everyone. I am just really really worried about this exam, especially philosophy. I just don't understand some of the arguments e.g. for the existence of God. And I can't write essays and get feedback because my teacher takes ages to mark them - I gave her an essay in January and she hasn't given it back yet. Can someone help me please :frown:

Don't panic! We've got lots of people on TSR who know their stuff. :smile: There's a specific Philosophy, Religious Studies and Theology forum - I'll move your post over there and you should get plenty of help.
Reply 2
Thank you! :smile:
Reply 3
Which arguments don't you understand?
Reply 4
Ontological and Cosmological. I read about it and make mind maps etc, but I keep forgetting things when I write an essay.
Original post by ojj_12
Ontological and Cosmological. I read about it and make mind maps etc, but I keep forgetting things when I write an essay.

The Ontological and Cosmological questions came up. I did the Ontological one (it focused on Descartes and someone else). I got 67/70 for my Philosophy. I loved the Existence of God topic.

However, A2 gets even worse. The most hardest A-level I have ever gotten through. :frown:

But AS is a breeeze. So just keep focused on the QUESTION. Revise everything basically. Then just keep going back to it regularly. What I suggest you do is to revise/memorise EVERYTHING before you write your essays. That way it's easier to track your progress.

I'm resitting Ethics though :frown:
Reply 6
Hey, I'm sitting the same exam and I'm really worried too. Especially for philosophy, I never feel like I know what I'm doing in terms of essay writing... I never know how to structure them or what a point even is... I also can't stand B section philosophy questions because I honestly feel like the criticisms are just reiterating the nature of the topic (eg the arguments...) I don't know if this makes sense but I'm really worried :frown:
Reply 7
I'm nervous as well! My teacher told me about a structure for the b sections, like basically do a for paragraph, and against paragraph, than a last one for or against depending on your viewpoint. The a section question is ok if it is just explaining an ethical theory, but im scared really hard questions are gonna come up. Are both your exams on the same day, or split up?
Reply 8
Original post by benSHTEE
I'm nervous as well! My teacher told me about a structure for the b sections, like basically do a for paragraph, and against paragraph, than a last one for or against depending on your viewpoint. The a section question is ok if it is just explaining an ethical theory, but im scared really hard questions are gonna come up. Are both your exams on the same day, or split up?

Mine are on the same day and same time! But luckily, our school is giving us a one hour break in between. This is actually ridiculous though, as if doing all our exams in one go wasn't enough!:mad:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Cool_JordH
The Ontological and Cosmological questions came up. I did the Ontological one (it focused on Descartes and someone else). I got 67/70 for my Philosophy. I loved the Existence of God topic.

However, A2 gets even worse. The most hardest A-level I have ever gotten through. :frown:

But AS is a breeeze. So just keep focused on the QUESTION. Revise everything basically. Then just keep going back to it regularly. What I suggest you do is to revise/memorise EVERYTHING before you write your essays. That way it's easier to track your progress.

I'm resitting Ethics though :frown:

Thanks for the help. I'm not very good at essay subjects :colondollar: , more of a scientist. Hmm, personally, I find ethics easier as it's much more straightforward
Reply 10
Original post by allypetal
Hey, I'm sitting the same exam and I'm really worried too. Especially for philosophy, I never feel like I know what I'm doing in terms of essay writing... I never know how to structure them or what a point even is... I also can't stand B section philosophy questions because I honestly feel like the criticisms are just reiterating the nature of the topic (eg the arguments...) I don't know if this makes sense but I'm really worried :frown:

Same! My teacher said the b question is much more open and you can write about almost anything as long as it is relevant. It's all very subjective too. This girl in my school had her exam remarked last year and went up by 15 marks!
Original post by ojj_12
Thanks for the help. I'm not very good at essay subjects :colondollar: , more of a scientist. Hmm, personally, I find ethics easier as it's much more straightforward

LOL, that's what I thought until I got a U on the exam :frown: But overall I got a C. So technically I really don't have to resit the exam, but to better my chances at A-level this yr, I need to at least get a B and actually revise this time!
Reply 12
Original post by ojj_12
Mine are on the same day and same time! But luckily, our school is giving us a one hour break in between. This is actually ridiculous though, as if doing all our exams in one go wasn't enough!:mad:

same! we only get a 15 min break though, and we can't revise apprently.. couldn't they have just put them on different days? :confused:
Reply 13
LOL, that's what I thought until I got a U on the exam :frown: But overall I got a C. So technically I really don't have to resit the exam, but to better my chances at A-level this yr, I need to at least get a B and actually revise this time!

oh, lol. The grade boundaries for philosophy do tend to be quite low though. Good Luck!
Reply 14
same! we only get a 15 min break though, and we can't revise apprently.. couldn't they have just put them on different days? :confused:

We're allowed to revise. We're going to be taken to this abandoned hut at the side of the school lol. Hmm, I'm sure you'll be able to persuade the invigilators. That's what we did last year. :biggrin:
Original post by ojj_12
oh, lol. The grade boundaries for philosophy do tend to be quite low though. Good Luck!

I thought both were the same? I'm sure that's how it was last year!
Reply 16
Original post by ojj_12
We're allowed to revise. We're going to be taken to this abandoned hut at the side of the school lol. Hmm, I'm sure you'll be able to persuade the invigilators. That's what we did last year. :biggrin:

we could try but i doubt they will let us, especially if they out out both papers and we see all the questions.. what topics, for both, are you most condfident/most scared about?
Reply 17
I thought both were the same? I'm sure that's how it was last year!

I looked at the grade boundaries and I think it was only 47/70 for philosophy for an A and 50/70 for ethics? I might be wrong tho
Reply 18
we could try but i doubt they will let us, especially if they out out both papers and we see all the questions.. what topics, for both, are you most condfident/most scared about?

For philosophy, I like science and religion and teleological, greeks and judeo-christian God is alright, I guess. Absolutely cannot stand Cosmological argument and the problem of evil kind of bores me.

Ethics is mostly okay I guess but I really hate Just War theory and all that, I'm not even revising it. I just won't do that question if it comes up. I really like Natural Law and Kant.

How about you? :smile:
Reply 19
who is resitting the AS ethics for 13th may ? any suggestions of what might appear

Quick Reply

Latest