The Student Room Group

Should I be embarrassed about learning in an Automatic car?

I've had approximately 30 lessons in a manual car but I can't seem to get the hang of it. I'll approach some situations really well but then the traffic will hit and because I'm concentrating on the clutch and changing gears everything goes wrong. Clearly, I'm not very good at multi-tasking at that level.
My dad ( who's reluctantly paying for all of these lessons) is trying to persuade me to change to automatic because he wants me to pass before I go to University in September.
Some people have told me to stick with manual because it's embarrassing only being able to drive automatic.

Scroll to see replies

Nothing wrong with driving an automatic (I do)

It's an unnecessary action to change gears manually when autoboxs these days are so good
you'll get a few idiots thinking that they're better than you since they drive manual

but other than that nobody is really gonna care

i have a friend who passed on automatic, she's cool with it, im cool with it. the main downside from what i gather is that automatic cars are more expensive
Original post by PurpleSquid
you'll get a few idiots thinking that they're better than you since they drive manual

but other than that nobody is really gonna care

i have a friend who passed on automatic, she's cool with it, im cool with it. the main downside from what i gather is that automatic cars are more expensive

More expensive
Older autos were crap (can OP afford a newer car?)
Can only drive an automatic (will she need to drive other cars?)

But yes the only people who "care" aren't worth knowing

Thinking they are boy racer ..
Original post by jusdorange
Nothing wrong with driving an automatic (I do)

It's an unnecessary action to change gears manually when autoboxs these days are so good

Well that's what I thought, but does it not make you look incompetent when the majority of the UK drive manual?
Original post by KatherineThorne
Well that's what I thought, but does it not make you look incompetent when the majority of the UK drive manual?

A little ... I can drive a manual , I just chose not to

But if it's just gears letting you down, it's safer for you and other drivers to just stick to an auto

It's good thing to know but not essential
Original post by jusdorange
A little ... I can drive a manual , I just chose not to

But if it's just gears letting you down, it's safer for you and other drivers to just stick to an auto

It's good thing to know but not essential

Ok, thank you!
Reply 7
There's nothing wrong with learning to drive an automatic, the only problem is there are less automatic cars to buy so is more expensive. I'm learning to drive a manuel just so I can if I need to but I'm going to drive my dad's automatic as I hate the whole clutch thing :biggrin:
I've had approximately 30 lessons in a manual car but I can't seem to get the hang of it. I'll approach some situations really well but then the traffic will hit and because I'm concentrating on the clutch and changing gears everything goes wrong. Clearly, I'm not very good at multi-tasking at that level.
My dad ( who's reluctantly paying for all of these lessons) is trying to persuade me to change to automatic because he wants me to pass before I go to University in September.
Some people have told me to stick with manual because it's embarrassing only being able to drive automatic.

I wouldnt be embarrassed. Its your choice, no one elses. And as long as you are fine with it, then thats all that matters.
You could always have some lessons and pass in a manual later on (e.g.once you have finished uni) anyway.
Original post by Emma:-)
I wouldnt be embarrassed. Its your choice, no one elses. And as long as you are fine with it, then thats all that matters.
You could always have some lessons and pass in a manual later on (e.g.once you have finished uni) anyway.

That's true, thank you! :smile:
Ok, thank you!

Out of curiosity, what part are you finding hard ?
Reply 11

Not really - the sort of person who might pull you up about it is probably an idiot.

One type of transmission is not arbitrarily better than another.
For example, I have an automatic 4x4 which is a fantastic motorway cruiser. By the same token I have a manual 2 seat sports car.
Having a manual mile muncher makes as much sense and as automatic sports car.

In any case, once an engine is making serious power, an automatic is faster anyway. You won't see a top fuel dragster with a manual gearbox!

WOW! Story of my Life! Lol.

"I've had 6 hours of lessons in a manual car.I drive fine until I get to bigger roads and when the road gets busy...I panic because I'm concentrating on the clutch and changing gears everything goes wrong. My dad is trying to persuade me to change to automatic because he wants me to pass before I go to University in September."

Iam really unsure what to do atm :frown:
That's true, thank you! :smile:

It might be worth speaking to your instructor about the situation to get their opinion.
I know you want to be passed by september, but it might be that you just need a bit more practice- some people need more practice than others. I can talk from experience. You say you handle some situations fine, so it looks like you are getting somewhere. Speak to your instructor- it might just be that you need more practice- for example 2 lessons a week rather than one (i know your dads paying for it- best to speak to him as well). Or it might be that you would be better with an automatic for now- at least until you have finished uni.
Speak to your dad and instructor before making any decisions.
Do you need a car for uni?
More expensive, and limiting when you are e.g. renting cars
Autos are worse generally. Source: Jeremy Clarkson :wink:
I know someone who drives auto because she's a godawful driver.
That said it is necessary in some countries e.g. Israel because of the vile hills and awful traffic. But here, not really.
Most of the people here saying it isn't embarrassing are auto drivers so what does that say :wink:
Don't be a giver-upper.
Original post by marinaim
That said it is necessary in some countries e.g. Israel because of the vile hills and awful traffic. But here, not really.
Most of the people here saying it isn't embarrassing are auto drivers so what does that say :wink:
Don't be a giver-upper.

It's refreshing to have the other side of the argument. I understand that it's more expensive but I'm not sure about them being worse; my mum has been driving automatic cars for 20 years with very little problems.
I don't know what to do to be honest :confused:
I have no idea if this is still the case, but it used to be that if you took and passed your test in an automatic, you were only legally entitled to drive automatics, not manuals. It may have changed, but it's worth checking. (And having driven manuals for 25 years, I am thrilled now to be driving automatics and saving myself the bother of changing gears.)

Edit: I'm right. Here's the info:
http://www.drivingtesttips.biz/automatic-driving-test.html
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Emma:-)
It might be worth speaking to your instructor about the situation to get their opinion.
I know you want to be passed by september, but it might be that you just need a bit more practice- some people need more practice than others. I can talk from experience. You say you handle some situations fine, so it looks like you are getting somewhere. Speak to your instructor- it might just be that you need more practice- for example 2 lessons a week rather than one (i know your dads paying for it- best to speak to him as well). Or it might be that you would be better with an automatic for now- at least until you have finished uni.
Speak to your dad and instructor before making any decisions.
Do you need a car for uni?

I don't need it for uni, I need to pass before uni because otherwise all my practice on the road will be a waste. I'll have to wait 3 years before I can start learning again.
It's refreshing to have the other side of the argument. I understand that it's more expensive but I'm not sure about them being worse; my mum has been driving automatic cars for 20 years with very little problems.
I don't know what to do to be honest :confused:

I think jezza meant more in terms of laceration and things that may not be of thaaaat much interest to the lay person :O
Ask you instructor I'd say?
Original post by marinaim
Don't be a giver-upper.

Clarkson says autos are fine for traffic / city driving ...
He prefers manual as the feel is different

Not to mention some supercars now are auto only

Anyway ...

How often will OP hire a car or go to Israel ?