If these site suggestions arise, have they been accessed on my pc?

Watch
bloomblaze
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
A family member has a guest account on my PC.

When I was on their user account, I was typing the first 2 letters in the address bar and a suggestion came up for a rather 'strange site'.

Does this mean my family member has accessed this weir site that was suggested by internet explorer?

Thanks
Illusionary
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by bloomblaze)
A family member has a guest account on my PC.

When I was on their user account, I was typing the first 2 letters in the address bar and a suggestion came up for a rather 'strange site'.

Does this mean my family member has accessed this weir site that was suggested by internet explorer?

Thanks
Possibly, though the autocomplete suggestions can include things other than your browsing history. Perhaps check what sites are listed in the browser history (use Ctrl+H if you're using IE)?
username909838
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I thought the top sites (twitter, Facebook, google etc) get suggested if you start typing with their respective letters?

But usually, typing in the address bar does represent the systems history. Even if you clear it I think.
AdampskiB
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I disagree with the other two as I mention Google's suggestive search feature implemented in their last policy update.

Search suggestions can be made based on what you have been on before, and it does not absolutely mean the 'search terms' in the list have been visited before. For my hypothesis to be correct, you must a) be using Chrome b) be signed in to the same Google account on Google Chrome as your family member and c) have the Web History feature enabled in your Google account settings (by defualt, it is on). You can distinguish the differences between a previous search term, and a suggested search term, by looking at the colours - black text is a suggested search term and purple is a previously entered search term.

But that's just being pedantic, the chances are pretty high that you don't comply with all three rules and that someone was searching dirty words on your computer.

Edit: if you were talking about actual web addresses (www.skankyhoes.com) and not keyword searches("skanky hoes"), then yes that would be internet history.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (222)
60.82%
No (77)
21.1%
Not sure (66)
18.08%

Watched Threads