The Student Room Group

Is it like fighting a losing battle in the gym if you have low testosterone?

Is it like fighting a losing battle? As in, it's difficult to put on muscle and difficult to maintain it.

I'd like to add that I don't know for sure I have low testosterone (I haven't had a doctor's diagnosis or blood test), but all the signs point towards it and what I have read on the internet about symptoms.

Scroll to see replies

The range of "average" testosterone is between 300-900 ng/dl; therefore it's likely you're in this range. In terms of your performance in the gym then it'll make very little difference as a natural. However, in terms of how you feel and general lifestyle this can have a greater effect.
Reply 2
Original post by Universityofme
The range of "average" testosterone is between 300-900 ng/dl; therefore it's likely you're in this range. In terms of your performance in the gym then it'll make very little difference as a natural. However, in terms of how you feel and general lifestyle this can have a greater effect.
I'm afraid that this is what a doctor will say. :frown:

"You're in the normal range so we can't do anything to help you"

Meanwhile I have a 325 ng/dl level of testosterone, doing everything right in life, and some other guy has an 825 ng/dl level of testosterone and drinks, smokes, eats crap and doesn't exercise.
Original post by Bassetts

Meanwhile I have a 325 ng/dl level of testosterone, doing everything right in life, and some other guy has an 825 ng/dl level of testosterone and drinks, smokes, eats crap and doesn't exercise.

Whats your point , there is always going to be someone smarter / stronger / better then you in every way . This doesn't mean you should just give up at what your doing .

Going to the gym should be about your journey , **** everyone else.
What's low testosterone? :confused:
Reply 5
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
Whats your point , there is always going to be someone smarter / stronger / better then you in every way . This doesn't mean you should just give up at what your doing .

Going to the gym should be about your journey , **** everyone else.
Please answer the original question.
To be honest it is massively affected by external factors and lifting itself will raise it whilst being overweight will decrease it.

To answer the OP

It might be so but the odds are you have average testosterone .

Quit whining like a little bitch , eat right , lift right and give it time.
Reply 8

Please stop whining like a bitch.
Reply 9
What could it be then if I get all (or very close to all) the symptoms of it?
Reply 10
Loss of libido, difficulty thinking of sex, very few erections, weak erections, tiredness, fatigue, depression, irritability, loss of strength and muscle mass, increased fat tissue on chest area.

edit: and difficulty sleeping (eg. going to bed at 10pm and waking up at 3am, going to bed at 9pm and waking up at 1:30am, strange things like that)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
I was wondering about this. My blood test showed low testosterone levels, I know women have lower than men but mine was lower than the normal range for females. I find it really hard to gain any muscle even though I go to the gym and eat healthily. Don't think there's much that can be done even if levels are low though. Also testosterone levels vary throughout the day which makes it hard to get an accurate result from a blood test.
Reply 12
Oh so now you think I might have low testosterone. :wink:

Lifting is NOT raising my testosterone and it is not releasing endorphins, as far as I am aware.
Reply 13
Original post by keturah
I was wondering about this. My blood test showed low testosterone levels, I know women have lower than men but mine was lower than the normal range for females. I find it really hard to gain any muscle even though I go to the gym and eat healthily. Don't think there's much that can be done even if levels are low though. Also testosterone levels vary throughout the day which makes it hard to get an accurate result from a blood test.
Get a blood test taken early in the morning.

What level is it at btw and what's the normal range for women? Why do you think it's low?

If its in the normal range, then it's not your low testosterone that is causing a lack of gains or your symptoms.

For the gains I suggest looking at your routine, diet and rest.

For your symptoms - go to a doctor

Also watch Blaha's recent videos on testosterone levels
Reply 15
Original post by Angry cucumber
If its in the normal range, then it's not your low testosterone that is causing a lack of gains or your symptoms.

For the gains I suggest looking at your routine, diet and rest.

For your symptoms - go to a doctor

Also watch Blaha's recent videos on testosterone levels
Link to video?
Link to video?

Reply 17
Get a blood test taken early in the morning.

What level is it at btw and what's the normal range for women? Why do you think it's low?

Mine was done at 5 o clock so maybe that's why it was low. I can't remember the figures, but my doctor just said it was quite low and to do a repeat blood test in a month. I wake up all the time through the night as well.

Okay, I do vaguely remember reading somewhere that smoking, and eating big, does actually increase testosterone.
Reply 19
Don't play internet doctor. Low T shares symptoms with god knows how many other things.

Quick Reply

Latest