The Student Room Group

Will I manage to pay for uni?

Hello.
I'm looking for some advice, but to be honest I'm not sure if I post it in the right place. If not, please, forgive me.
I'm going to apply for courses beginning in September 2015, but I'm afraid that I won't be able to cope with fees and life expenses, as for now I am sure that my mother won't support me financially at all and my father also won't be able to cover all costs of studying.
The question is: What can I do to manage to pay for university and accommodation? I know about existence of students loan, but how does it work in practice? Does it cover all fees required by university? Do you recommend it?
Of course I am aware, that this loan won't cover all costs, so what can I do to cover them instead? Is combination of student loan and part-time job enough to cope with all costs?
And the most important question: Is it even affordable to do something like that?
Probably important information: I'm not from UK, but I'm EU resident.
Original post by Miyomika
Hello.
I'm looking for some advice, but to be honest I'm not sure if I post it in the right place. If not, please, forgive me.
I'm going to apply for courses beginning in September 2015, but I'm afraid that I won't be able to cope with fees and life expenses, as for now I am sure that my mother won't support me financially at all and my father also won't be able to cover all costs of studying.
The question is: What can I do to manage to pay for university and accommodation? I know about existence of students loan, but how does it work in practice? Does it cover all fees required by university? Do you recommend it?
Of course I am aware, that this loan won't cover all costs, so what can I do to cover them instead? Is combination of student loan and part-time job enough to cope with all costs?
And the most important question: Is it even affordable to do something like that?

If you study in England you can get a loan from Student Finance England to cover the cost of your tuition fee's only. If you study in Scotland, you can apply to SAAS, and you won't need to pay any tuition fee's.

All you need to find £ for is living costs, which can be quite expensive (£3000 - £7000 per year). Some EU students get loans from their own government, or they take out bank loans.
Reply 2
Original post by Miyomika
The question is: What can I do to manage to pay for university and accommodation? I know about existence of students loan, but how does it work in practice? Does it cover all fees required by university?

As an EU student, you will only be eligible for a Tuition Fee Loan. However, this will cover all of your tuition fees.

You won't get any student loans to cover living costs and you will have to raise this yourself.

Do you recommend it?

Unless you can lay your hands on £27,000 for fees anywhere else, it's the only way most people can afford to study at university in the UK.

You won't get a Maintenance Loan as an EU student unfortunately. A part-time job is very unlikely to give you enough money to pay rent, bills, food and travel home for vacations.

Unless you can find enough money to pay your living costs, I'm not sure it would be feasible for you.
Reply 3
Original post by Klix88

You won't get a Maintenance Loan as an EU student unfortunately. A part-time job is very unlikely to give you enough money to pay rent, bills, food and travel home for vacations.

Thanks for your answers, guys.
I have one more question: How much one is possible to earn working part-time? Maybe this combined with financial support from my father will be enough.
Reply 4
it isn't always possible for students to find part-time jobs. There may be some bursaries available, a few universities have such things but you need to check their websites. You'd need to budget for at least 7k a year for living costs outside London, most universities charge more than 3k for accommodation alone. You'd need to earn a good wage in the summer holidays and survive on a bank loan or overdraft. It would be impossible without some support from your family.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending