The Student Room Group

M2 question please help !!

A uniform ladder, of weight W and length 2a, rests in equilibrium with one end A on smooth horizontal floor and the other end B against a rough vertical wall. The ladder is in a vertical plane perpendicular to the wall. The coefficient of friction between the wall and the ladder is "mu". The ladder makes an angle "theta" with the floor, where tan"theta"=4/3. A horizontal light inextensible string CD is attached to the wall at the point D, with BD vertical, as shown in the diagram. The tension in the string is 1/3 W. By modelling the ladder as a rod a) find the magnitude of the force of the floor on the ladder.

I thought that the question wants the reaction magnitude of floor on ladder so
I took moments about B so that
W( a cos"theta")+T( 7/4a sin"theta")=R(2a cos"theta")
But the answer is wrong
The right answer back is 15 sqrt3/4 and 25 sqrt3/5 (actually I dont know why they are two magnitudes ?)
Original post by Rawan khaled
A uniform ladder, of weight W and length 2a, rests in equilibrium with one end A on smooth horizontal floor and the other end B against a rough vertical wall. The ladder is in a vertical plane perpendicular to the wall. The coefficient of friction between the wall and the ladder is "mu". The ladder makes an angle "theta" with the floor, where tan"theta"=4/3. A horizontal light inextensible string CD is attached to the wall at the point D, with BD vertical, as shown in the diagram. The tension in the string is 1/3 W. By modelling the ladder as a rod a) find the magnitude of the force of the floor on the ladder.

But the answer is wrong
The right answer back is 15 sqrt3/4 and 25 sqrt3/5 (actually I dont know why they are two magnitudes ?)

Can you post the diagram please?
Original post by Rawan khaled

But the answer is wrong

Take moments about A
Reply 3
Original post by SherlockHolmes
Can you post the diagram please?

Here is the diagram and the green font is my working
Reply 4
Original post by Ilovemaths96
Take moments about A

What's the difference ? I tried it and I found that it became more complex :/

Quick Reply

Latest