WhiteRose100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi..so I have a phobia of travelling on buses, has anyone else ever experienced something like this? any ideas of things I could do to get over it?
headunderwater
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In suffer from a lot of social anxiety, including public transport. When I'm getting on a bus I just become so paranoid, believe that everybody is staring at me and I can hear everybody talking about me. A few weeks ago I got on a relatively empty bus and got a seat near the window but then some guy got on and sat beside me and I majorly freaked out: thought I was going to die.

I don't really know what to advise. Maybe start of with bus routes and times of the day where they won't be so packed, or ask a friend/family member to come with you and then build it up from there. Have your ipod on you and listen to that, or read something. Concentrate on something other than the fear.

Sorry, I know I'm not much help. Hope it gets better for you soon though
maddo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Go bussin' with mates, get to know your routes, become a busophile like me!

(Original post by headunderwater)
In suffer from a lot of social anxiety, including public transport. When I'm getting on a bus I just become so paranoid, believe that everybody is staring at me and I can hear everybody talking about me. A few weeks ago I got on a relatively empty bus and got a seat near the window but then some guy got on and sat beside me and I majorly freaked out: thought I was going to die.
Generally, in terms of anxiety buses are the basis of all public transport, you can do anything after that; trains, planes, commuter boats (which are London's best feature) anything. As with all social anxiety, any anxiety at all really, it's best to jump into it with all the control you can; find a really friendly looking person on a bus and simply say "Good morning/afternoon/etc." I do this all the time, it's only gone wrong twice. Once I even ended up talking to someone I knew ten years ago, who I didn't recognize! And remember the golden rule; if at first you don't succeed, haaaaave you met Ted?
WhiteRose100
Rep:
?
(Original post by headunderwater)

I don't really know what to advise. Maybe start of with bus routes and times of the day where they won't be so packed, or ask a friend/family member to come with you and then build it up from there. Have your ipod on you and listen to that, or read something. Concentrate on something other than the fear.

Sorry, I know I'm not much help. Hope it gets better for you soon though
Thank you! that's really good advice, I did just that...it wasn't so bad but the bus was abnormally empty that time so that definitely helped me! x
WhiteRose100
Rep:
?
(Original post by maddo)
Go bussin' with mates, get to know your routes, become a busophile like me!

Generally, in terms of anxiety buses are the basis of all public transport, you can do anything after that; trains, planes, commuter boats (which are London's best feature) anything. As with all social anxiety, any anxiety at all really, it's best to jump into it with all the control you can; find a really friendly looking person on a bus and simply say "Good morning/afternoon/etc." I do this all the time, it's only gone wrong twice. Once I even ended up talking to someone I knew ten years ago, who I didn't recognize! And remember the golden rule; if at first you don't succeed, haaaaave you met Ted?
lol that's cool! I'm alright with all other forms of transport, it's just buses, but I have been on one since I posted and it wasn't too scary! And thanks
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Never seen a person who has a phobia of buses. Could you reason or describe your phobia at least? I would recommend you to go by train!
Mr.Tomaten
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My dad cant even sit on a bus without freaking out
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (288)
55.71%
I don't have everything I need (229)
44.29%

Watched Threads