The Student Room Group

Isthe iPad a good tablet ?

For the record i'm not an apple fanboy, but i've been doing some recieve into tablets and its all so complicated like some say (WiFi) some don't even incude the amount of memory available.

I've saved up some money (£700) so I can get any tablet really, its getting abit tiresome doing research so I thought I'd get the 64gb iPad and Apple Care but I am open to suggestions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah it's a pretty good tablet. Depends that you want from it though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
It's good.
Very limited. Personally one of the most useful things on my tablet is being able to plug in a memory stick or hard drive with films, music, Pdf's etc. If I'm at a friends can just add any file to my mem stick and plug it into my tablet when I want. Ipad can't do any of that, amongst other things.
Yeah, but I wouldn't just get it for the brand name. There are plenty other good ones, for example google nexus 7.
Reply 5
Original post by theronkinator
Very limited. Personally one of the most useful things on my tablet is being able to plug in a memory stick or hard drive with films, music, Pdf's etc. If I'm at a friends can just add any file to my mem stick and plug it into my tablet when I want. Ipad can't do any of that, amongst other things.

People still use memory sticks? :confused:

Original post by diggy
For the record i'm not an apple fanboy, but i've been doing some recieve into tablets and its all so complicated like some say (WiFi) some don't even incude the amount of memory available.

I've saved up some money (£700) so I can get any tablet really, its getting abit tiresome doing research so I thought I'd get the 64gb iPad and Apple Care but I am open to suggestions

I've had my iPad since it was released (1st gen), and it's been great. Always been really useful, never had any problems with it. I imagine these newer models are even better, I'd definitely recommend one.
Reply 7
Original post by alow

USB OTG allows you to connect up to a external usb drive or external harddrive if the memory card slot isn't enough or there isn't one.
Reply 8
Original post by Iqbal007
USB OTG allows you to connect up to a external usb drive or external harddrive if the memory card slot isn't enough or there isn't one.

Just use Dropbox? I haven't used a memory stick in years :lol:
Reply 9
It's not the market leader for nothing, nor just due to hype. It has use friendliness and style, but also a high price. I love it. The Galaxy seems to be growing in statue and ownership though.
Reply 10
It is one of the better tablets out there.

Best? I certainly would say it is best in terms of performance, usability, user-interface and stability. It also has very good end-of-life potential as it is very long lasting for an electronic device and there will always be a market for it on the 2nd hand market either in dead or alive condition.

The downside of it is it is a bit heavier, not expandable in terms of storage and it isn't easy to replace anything if it breaks or at least not something that can be done at home. Cost? It does have an expensive starting price without a doubt but many Samsung tablets are also creeping up there in terms of price however Samsungs tend to be worth nothing when it comes to time for a new one as it simply doesn't have the resale value or durability factor. The other costs involved is the apps, many apps on the iPad will require some money where it might be free or cost less on an Android device.

iOS or Android? Androids tend to be released as a Work In Progress where Apple rarely ever releases a version of the iOS as a WIP which in turn makes it very stable and less prone to crashes.

-User of Apple iPad 1,2 , Retina Display and now iPad Air, only the iPad 1 which was bought within weeks of its launch has been sold on. The 2 still lives on even after it was a hand-me down. Also previously used a Galaxy Tab 7.7 (sold after 5 months) Galaxy Note, a Motorola Xoom and an Asus Transformer. The Xoom was good like most Motorola products it tends to be well built and robust but it was poorly balanced and I felt the heat to it a bit uncomfortable.

Which one to get? If it is your first time getting one get the Apple iPad you won't regret it, get one with as big a storage capacity that you can afford. Generally I don't think it is necessary to get one that can take a SIM especially if you already have a Smartphone.
Reply 11
Original post by alow

I find dropbox buggy at times.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by G8D
As far as tablets go the iPad still sets the standard. I prefer the iPad mini myself, though I don't own any tablets.

I think the iPad Mini may be the tablet with the best competition from Android. Nexus 7 is very good quality and much better value. Asus Memo Pad HD7 is cheaper still, and actually has a memory card slot. OP, I would say definitely shop around if you're looking for a smaller (7 inch) tablet.
Original post by alow

When you enter industry you're in for a shock. You will be expected to have a USB on you to back up work and stuff. If your only backup or copy is hosted online you'll get laughed at. It's a silly thing to do to be honest especially considering Dropbox isn't really secure unless you use TrueCrypt. Most companies prefer Google Drive or SkyDrive.
Reply 14
Original post by Mickey O'Neil
When you enter industry you're in for a shock. You will be expected to have a USB on you to back up work and stuff. If your only backup or copy is hosted online you'll get laughed at. It's a silly thing to do to be honest especially considering Dropbox isn't really secure unless you use TrueCrypt. Most companies prefer Google Drive or SkyDrive.

Yeah I wouldn't use Dropbox for anything secure...

Probably just use a couple of encrypted NASs/Skydrive. USB sticks are a bit redundant now.
Original post by alow
Yeah I wouldn't use Dropbox for anything secure...

Probably just use a couple of encrypted NASs/Skydrive. USB sticks are a bit redundant now.

I have one for this :biggrin:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/
get the surface Pro 2, you can get it for £650 on ebay for 128gb

Best tablet by far

(3-4x more powerful than the new ipad, you can play Battlefield 4 on it, you can play your steam library on it)

Its a full windows tablet
Reply 17
I've got the current retina iPad mini, coming from a 1st gen iPad and Nexus 7.

Overall I think the retina iPad mini is the best tablet for me but it has it's flaws. It has only 1gb RAM which can cause reloading of tabs if you have too many apps, tabs open. The multitasking experiencing on ios is extremely limited, so you cannot watch a YouTube video and send a email at the same time, this doesn't matter to much to me as I've got the mini, but I think of you're thinking of an air, maybe it's something to consider. The nexus 7 was good but it didn't feel as smooth and quick as the iPad, the iPad has way better apps in quality you can tell that the apps were meant to be made for the tablet and you get a lot more quality apps on the iPad. The nexus 7 was also very narrow, it wasn't the best for reading things in landscape like presentations. The iPad is an amazing device, use it more than my laptop as I handwrite my notes and use my iPad as a screen for presentations. Oh and the iPad comes with iWork for free which can be very handy to students. The sofa-browsing experience is great on the iPad and overall I'd buy it over any tablet if money wasn't the issue and as you have £700 you might as well get the best.
Original post by alow

Yeah using the cloud is so useful for the 90% of the time with no wifi. I'd rather just have my files than faff about trying to find an unsecure public wifi hotspot, trying to get connected, then realising it's way too useless for me to download 60GB of films, which I then had to upload first.

Brilliant solution, please give me more terrible ideas.
Reply 19
Original post by alow

Trust me, its worth doing that.....especially where internet is hard to reach or where its far too slow. Mainly to watch films and what not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending