What would have happened if the Germans had conquered Russia?

Watch
furryface12
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
My dad read today that on 12th April 1944 the headline of the Telegraph was that the Russians had swept into Crimea. Seventy years on very little has changed.

But this got me wondering: what would have happened if the Germans had conquered Russia after they invaded in 1941? Would we have still had the Cold War, and would our knowledge of the universe and nuclear weapons still be at the level it is today? Would Germany have gone on to conquer Western Europe and the UK with their new, strengthened forces? Would the US have ever entered the war? (Probably, as it wouldn't have stopped Pearl Harbour from happening).

Just a random question, it might have been asked on here before. Forgive me if my view is a little oversimplified, I haven't done history since year nine
WhiteHistoryRev
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Europeans would have been liberated from the evils of communism.
Ageofsin&lies
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by WhiteHistoryRev)
We wouldn't be having stupid conversations like "is it racist to discuss immigration" or "is it racist for white European people to claim their own distinct identity" and the power or the banking dynasty families like Rothschilds and Warburgs would be seriously reduce or even reduced to zero, there would not be a so the so called free media (corporate media) peddling out war propaganda for globalists, and there would probably be some efforts made to make society more joined up instead of selfish rampant costumer capitalism at all costs.
DanB1991
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well Germany never planned on "conquering" the USSR (get it right ) as such. More or less a favorable eventual peace in their favor.... aka more land.

Either way it was pretty much impossible for Germany to win....

Even if by some miracle they managed to destroy Russia's industrial capability and forced them to surrender, the USSR would have rejoined as soon as japan declared war on the USA.

Even "if" Russia had lost, we most likely would of had some comparable outrage to the holocaust due to what the USSR did during ww2.
dlyslexlicth
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Even if the Germans somehow by all odds took Leningrad and Moscow, it wouldn't have prevented the Allied invasion of France, and the Germans would be far too stretched holding occupied Russia and protecting the German heartland from the encroaching allies. Probably would have eventually led to the same outcome but instead it would be the Americans and British reaching Berlin rather than the Soviets.

As for the whole communist issue, there's far too many variables at play to say that communism would die out with a succesful Nazi invasion.

It's all a moot point though. If we have learnt anything from history it's that you can't invade Russia on the ground. It's just too goddamn big to not end up having dispersed forces, let alone the famous Russian winter that has saved it from outside invasion so many times. Theres no way the Germans would have been able to hold an occupied Russia either whilst simultaneously fighting the Americans.
DanB1991
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by dlyslexlicth)
It's all a moot point though. If we have learnt anything from history it's that you can't invade Russia on the ground. It's just too goddamn big to not end up having dispersed forces, let alone the famous Russian winter that has saved it from outside invasion so many times. Theres no way the Germans would have been able to hold an occupied Russia either whilst simultaneously fighting the Americans.
A ground invasion is not impossible. After all the Russian winter killed more russians than invading forces.

It's more to do with A) Outnumbering the Russians and B) Being able to outproduce them.
Moosferatu
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You may wish to read the alternate history novel Fatherland by Robert Harris. I didn't care much for the story, but found the geopolitical situation (drip-fed to the reader throughout the book) fascinating.

As you could guess it's an alternate history where Nazi Germany wins the war, but the Pacific Theatre continues as normal with the USA defeating Japan and the two new superpowers engaging in a cold war. Essentially Germany manages to defeat the USSR but only up until the Urals, and Stalin remains in command beyond them. As such the Germans, in the quest to create 'lebensraum', are drawn into a seemingly endless guerilla war in the occupied Soviet Union, which the US perpetuates by sending equipment, intel, and supplies to Stalin and his ilk. From what I recall in the book it's implied that becoming a settler in the East is an unpopular option due to the high risk of death, and the lebensraum project ends up being a massive moneysink overall.

From such an interpretation one could wonder whether in the event that he had conquered the Soviet Union Hitler would have squandered money trying to enact his crazy dreams over common sense policies, something that happened time and time again in real life.
furryface12
Rep:
?
(Original post by DanB1991)
Well Germany never planned on "conquering" the USSR (get it right ) as such. More or less a favorable eventual peace in their favor.... aka more land.

Either way it was pretty much impossible for Germany to win....

Even if by some miracle they managed to destroy Russia's industrial capability and forced them to surrender, the USSR would have rejoined as soon as japan declared war on the USA.

Even "if" Russia had lost, we most likely would of had some comparable outrage to the holocaust due to what the USSR did during ww2.
Yeahh, I couldn't think of the right word :lol: I know they were never likely to and the Japanese would have complicated things (although the treated their prisoners much worse than certainly Germany and maybe even Russia from what I've heard...), I was thinking more about what's happened since the war- although Russia is huge, so most likely not a lot different!

Posted from TSR Mobile
furryface12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Moosferatu)
You may wish to read the alternate history novel Fatherland by Robert Harris. I didn't care much for the story, but found the geopolitical situation (drip-fed to the reader throughout the book) fascinating.

As you could guess it's an alternate history where Nazi Germany wins the war, but the Pacific Theatre continues as normal with the USA defeating Japan and the two new superpowers engaging in a cold war. Essentially Germany manages to defeat the USSR but only up until the Urals, and Stalin remains in command beyond them. As such the Germans, in the quest to create 'lebensraum', are drawn into a seemingly endless guerilla war in the occupied Soviet Union, which the US perpetuates by sending equipment, intel, and supplies to Stalin and his ilk. From what I recall in the book it's implied that becoming a settler in the East is an unpopular option due to the high risk of death, and the lebensraum project ends up being a massive moneysink overall.

From such an interpretation one could wonder whether in the event that he had conquered the Soviet Union Hitler would have squandered money trying to enact his crazy dreams over common sense policies, something that happened time and time again in real life.
That sounds quite interesting actually, thanks! I may add it to the growing list of books I'll get round to reading in the summer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stalin
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by furryface12)
My dad read today that on 12th April 1944 the headline of the Telegraph was that the Russians had swept into Crimea. Seventy years on very little has changed.
The Soviet Union liberated Crimea from the Nazis on the 12th April 1944 - it's been part of the Russian Empire since 1783.

But this got me wondering: what would have happened if the Germans had conquered Russia after they invaded in 1941? Would we have still had the Cold War, and would our knowledge of the universe and nuclear weapons still be at the level it is today?
I think we would have witnessed a very different Cold War: the Nazis vs the RoW.

Our knowledge of nuclear weapons would have been the same, whilst our knowledge of the universe may even be greater due to the emphasis the Nazi regime would have placed upon it.

Would Germany have gone on to conquer Western Europe and the UK with their new, strengthened forces?
The Nazis had Western Europe under their jackboot at that point, its last obstacle to European domination, assuming it had defeated the Soviet Union, would have been the UK.

With their newly-acquired resources from the Caucuses, the Nazis would have enough power to put Operation Sea Lion into effect and knock London out of the equation. This leaves the US in a fragile situation: it is unable to land troops in Western Europe because it has no friendly landing zone, thus it seems that evil would have prevailed on our continent.

Would the US have ever entered the war? (Probably, as it wouldn't have stopped Pearl Harbour from happening).
The US would have still obliterated the Japanese. But would have been largely restricted afterwards in terms of fighting the Nazis.

This is under the assumption that Britain has fallen in 1941 - 1942 latest.
felamaslen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by WhiteHistoryRev)
And face Fascism instead, unless Hitler was then defeated by the free world.

A far better alternative history is one in which WW1 never happens, the 1917 Bolshevik revolution never happens, the 1933 German revolution never happens and the Cold war never happens.
felamaslen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by DanB1991)
Don't you mean what the USSR did from 1917 to 1989? It was an atrocity from start to finish.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (59)
4.7%
Uncertainty around my education (191)
15.22%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (137)
10.92%
Lack of purpose or motivation (179)
14.26%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (56)
4.46%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (70)
5.58%
Loneliness (110)
8.76%
Financial worries (44)
3.51%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (58)
4.62%
Exposure to negative news/social media (58)
4.62%
Lack of real life entertainment (67)
5.34%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (111)
8.84%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (115)
9.16%

Watched Threads