The Student Room Group

Not sure whether to see the doctor or not - low iron?

Hey :smile:

I almost never go to the GP (the only time I've been in the past ~8 years was in Feb) so I was just wondering whether you guys thought it was necessary to see one now - I think I might be anaemic??

I've been reeeeally just lacking in energy lately (have been in the middle of revising but getting 8-9 hours of sleep, and could just nap anytime), have been looking pretty pale and my mum/sister both have low iron levels. I was also refused to give blood because my drop of blood didn't sink quickly enough (they tried to get a numerical value for it but the test didn't work, so I haven't been referred to the docs).

I'm not a vegetarian and I do eat a pretty reasonable amount of greens (spinach :love:) but I have pretty heavy periods (TMI).

Anyway yeah I'm sorry if this doesn't belong in this forum! Thanks!
Original post by Anonymous
Hey :smile:

I almost never go to the GP (the only time I've been in the past ~8 years was in Feb) so I was just wondering whether you guys thought it was necessary to see one now - I think I might be anaemic??

I've been reeeeally just lacking in energy lately (have been in the middle of revising but getting 8-9 hours of sleep, and could just nap anytime), have been looking pretty pale and my mum/sister both have low iron levels. I was also refused to give blood because my drop of blood didn't sink quickly enough (they tried to get a numerical value for it but the test didn't work, so I haven't been referred to the docs).

I'm not a vegetarian and I do eat a pretty reasonable amount of greens (spinach :love:) but I have pretty heavy periods (TMI).

Anyway yeah I'm sorry if this doesn't belong in this forum! Thanks!

Hi :h:

I'd definitely do it, yes :yep: my mum is anaemic and suffers quite badly from it and I know it can be difficult feeling tired all of the time. I think it'd be good for you to go to a doctor just in case, and hopefully get any necessary treatment if it does turn out to be that :smile: and if it isn't anaemia, then that's just a bonus, I guess :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your symptoms do seem to point towards anaemia, it's a shame that the test wouldn't work. I would definitely recommend going to the GP as they will be able to give you a definite answer more than random people on the internet :smile:
Sounds like a question for first year med students.

A 21 year old female office worker presents with tiredness and lethargy. She also complains of heavy menstrual periods. She thinks spinach is a good source of dietary iron. Which of the following is the most likely diagnosis?

a) Iron Deficiency Anaemia
b) Priapism
c) Guillain–Barré Syndrome
d) Inferolateral Myocardial Infarction
e) Rockitansky-Kuster-Houser syndrome
Reply 4
Yes. Easy to get a test and find out. I think the idea that spinach has lots of iron is a myth. You could eat liver.
Original post by Hippysnake
Sounds like a question for first year med students.

A 21 year old female office worker presents with tiredness and lethargy. She also complains of heavy menstrual periods. She thinks spinach is a good source of dietary iron. Which of the following is the most likely diagnosis?

a) Iron Deficiency Anaemia
b) Priapism
c) Guillain–Barré Syndrome
d) Inferolateral Myocardial Infarction
e) Rockitansky-Kuster-Houser syndrome

I have to admit, it's very odd seeing a sharingan giving advice relating to menstrual periods.
Reply 6
Hi, I have been suffering from anaemia for a while and have only just gone to my GP about it.
Go to your GP, feeling tired all the time and having no energy is horrible, your GP will prescribe you with iron tablets after a blood test and hopefully you should start to feel the benefit.

As to your heavy periods again talk to your GP, are you using any form of contraception? The pill is meant to slow down periods but it didn't for me and my iron levels were still low. The injection and implant are better at stopping so much blood loss but can have side effects such as weight gain and brittle bones so you need to talk to your Dr, the other option is the coil but can I ask how old you are? It might not be recommended if you're young, this is the option I'm going for although it might be painful because I haven't had children, i'm going to see the Dr about it in 2 weeks.

Talk it thorough with your GP, don't let it get too bad. I missed so many Uni lectures at the beginning of the year because I was so tired and it really affected my health and wellbeing, don't let it get that far! X
Original post by Meyrin
I have to admit, it's very odd seeing a sharingan giving advice relating to menstrual periods.

Basically I'm what happens when Madara screwed Tsunade.
Basically I'm what happens when Madara screwed Tsunade.

That'd make for an interesting fanfiction. :lol: No doubt it already exists.

Not Sasuke and Sakura?
If you are unsure go and see your gp thst what they ate there for

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Changing Skies
x

Original post by AspiringDoctor
Your symptoms do seem to point towards anaemia, it's a shame that the test wouldn't work. I would definitely recommend going to the GP as they will be able to give you a definite answer more than random people on the internet :smile:

Yeah they tried and failed to get blood out of one arm and then said it would be pointless to try the other because I wouldn't be able to donate anyway :/ I was well up for donating though!

x

Original post by suedonim
x

Hahaha my bad, totally bought into the whole spinach thing! (I do love it though)
Having looked at a list I do eat a reasonable amount of those foods, though I could get on the red wine more often to bump up the levels?!

Original post by KatsToes
Hi, I have been suffering from anaemia for a while and have only just gone to my GP about it.
Go to your GP, feeling tired all the time and having no energy is horrible, your GP will prescribe you with iron tablets after a blood test and hopefully you should start to feel the benefit.

As to your heavy periods again talk to your GP, are you using any form of contraception? The pill is meant to slow down periods but it didn't for me and my iron levels were still low. The injection and implant are better at stopping so much blood loss but can have side effects such as weight gain and brittle bones so you need to talk to your Dr, the other option is the coil but can I ask how old you are? It might not be recommended if you're young, this is the option I'm going for although it might be painful because I haven't had children, i'm going to see the Dr about it in 2 weeks.

Talk it thorough with your GP, don't let it get too bad. I missed so many Uni lectures at the beginning of the year because I was so tired and it really affected my health and wellbeing, don't let it get that far! X

Thanks for sharing your experiences! It hasn't got to the point of missing lectures or anything but I have been revising pretty solidly for the past four weeks and just feel a constant tiredness like I'm just sort of drifting through it without being able to concentrate on stuff properly.
Also I'm 19 but not on any contraception at the moment :-) I'll defo bear that in mind if I do need to consider it in future!!

Thank you everyone who has replied!!
I think I will book an appointment when I get back to uni to check just in case, I guess because I am a very irregular visitor to the doctor I just don't want to waste their time/don't know what constitutes wasting their time!

Quick Reply

Latest