Politics at Stirling or Strathclyde?

Watch
bwstarr
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm looking for advice on where to study politics? Is anyone studying politics at Stirling?

I went to the applicant day today as I have an unconditional for History and Politics. I loved the feeling of the university but the cost of moving away along with the fear of disappointment is making the decision hard.

Is politics/history a good course at Stirling?
Calum10
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi Bwstarr.

As far as I'm aware, Politics at Strathclyde is held is pretty high regard. Just having a look at their webpage I seen:

"In successive National Student Surveys our students have recorded an overall satisfaction rating of 91 per cent in 2007 and 2008 and 94 per cent in 2009. At the last national Teaching Quality Assessment in Scotland, the Faculty achieved the only 'Excellent' grade to be awarded for Politics in Scotland.
"

Compared to Stirling:

"Politics at Stirling was also ranked 5th in Scotland by The Guardian University Guide, 2011."

The Complete University Guide rankings table also has Strathclyde above Stirling for Politics: http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...and&s=Politics

However, I would always recommend you to go with your instinct. I'm assuming you have been to both campuses and had a look around. I'd go with the one you felt was 'right'. I've always been told that when choosing a University, go with your gut. You're going to be spending a large amount of the next 4 years of your life there, so go somewhere which feels good for you. Don't worry about ranking tables etc at the moment.

Remove the "fear of disappointment" from the equation as well, that's purely psychological. You can be great anywhere you want!

Take a close look at the contents of each degree and think about which one you think you'd be more interested in.

Stirling Uni - Politics: http://www.stir.ac.uk/undergraduate-...ties/politics/
Strathclyde Uni - Politics: http://www.stir.ac.uk/undergraduate-...ties/politics/

Remember, as a last resort, you can transfer University if you really felt like you made the wrong choice. Take your time, read the content of both, maybe even contact the departments of both and ask any questions you might have. You'll have to consider money and many other things but this is a choice that should be made without the pressure of "which is the better university", "which is higher in the rankings" or "will I cope with the work" etc.

If you're really struggling, write a list or PROS and CONS and weigh them up against each other.

If you can maybe look at through the 'Stirling 2013' applicants thread and find someone who accepted Politics at Stirling and then do it aqain in the Strathclyde Uni forum and give them a wee email and see what they say and see if it helps.

Take your time, go with your gut!

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (665)
33.52%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (845)
42.59%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.41%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed