The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Yes, I think they should.

Racism, sexism, whatever is bad. But sometimes what might be defined as either isn't really. (its considered sexism if you want to set up a womens only fitness class nowadays :rolleyes: )

-Rashid
Reply 21
Yes, they should. However, this should only be allowed to happen within a totally free market. It will all come down to competitiveness. If a company of all blacks provides the best option then surely that can't be a bad thing?

I would complain if a subsidised industry was allowed to hire based on racist quotas. That wouldn't be on. However, if the institution in question is totally independent then fair enough, what right does anybody have to complain? Band together and set up a competitive business if it bothers you so much.

Would anybody find it acceptable if a QUANGO exhibited racist employment tactics? Also, what about if Virgin rail started to hire in a similar way? Their natural monopoly is difficult to compete against.
Reply 22
Well quite, where companies have monopolies, and potential employees have skills relevant to that industry, it is easy to see why institutional racism is bad for both company and applicant.

To the person who said 'why not just make an all black company':

1) Other white companies may not do business with them (if business racism is allowed, as people are suggesting should be), meaning they face an impossible task to source materials/distribute etc.

2) It is conceivable a minority might not have enough members to form a company to compete against other giants, economies of scale would ruin them.

3) There are obviously problems with creating a segregated workforce as well.

I am ALL FOR the free market, where it would help (i.e. not the railways or health system). Racist practices go against the benefits of the free market. Quite apart from the obvious moral problems with denying someone wages based on how they look, it is bad for the market as well!
Reply 23
DanGrover
Not at all. It's their business - if they want to discriminate and thus employ "inferior" people over a more qualified person on the basis of sexism or racism or whatever, it's their own business that's going to suffer. I'd say it's morally abhorrent, but they should be allowed to do it.

I would agree with you with respect to private companies, but not public ones.
allymcb2
I would agree with you with respect to private companies, but not public ones.

Absolutely, I agree.

Latest

Trending

Trending