The Student Room Group

I think I have feelings for my closest guy friend...

And I don't think he feels the same way. And that's ****.
Reply 1
Have you made your feelings known to him?

Why do you get the impression he isn't at all interested?

Help us out here OP. (;
Reply 2
Original post by awe
Have you made your feelings known to him?

Why do you get the impression he isn't at all interested?

Help us out here OP. (;

No! I would hate to ruin the friendship. I only really started realising recently anyway.

I don't know, he likes getting with lots of girls. I have done things with him before (except full on sex) but that was drunken.

He's confident with girls (though not 100% he has opened up to me) so if he felt anything or wanted me I think he'd make a move.

I think we have more a sibling relationship in his mind we are always joking and messing around and "fighting" etc.
Reply 3
Sounds like one of you has been 'friend zoned'. Subtly let him know you have feelings for him, don't tell him directly or he might see you differently if he doesn't like you back. But if you really value the friendship, you shouldn't risk it.

Believe me I've been there and I regret it.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
No!
I think we have more a sibling relationship in his mind we are always joking and messing around and "fighting" etc.

It sounds harsh but - if he knows nothing, then you only have yourself to blame for nothing having happened. P:
If he thinks you're 'siblings' then maybe he won't be looking at you in a relationship light, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he couldn't. Especially if you've already done things with him before - maybe he is in the exact same boat as you, but how would you ever know without communicating? Again - nothing can happen if you don't start something. Don't expect the other person to make the first move for you. Or, you could go on wanting him and watching him be with others. Surely it would be better to risk it ?
Reply 5
Original post by awe
It sounds harsh but - if he knows nothing, then you only have yourself to blame for nothing having happened. P:
If he thinks you're 'siblings' then maybe he won't be looking at you in a relationship light, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he couldn't. Especially if you've already done things with him before - maybe he is in the exact same boat as you, but how would you ever know without communicating? Again - nothing can happen if you don't start something. Don't expect the other person to make the first move for you. Or, you could go on wanting him and watching him be with others. Surely it would be better to risk it ?

I think he knows I'm attracted to him, I think I've told him, ha. I'd really rather not lose the friendship though because I'd say my feelings aren't THAT strong, if anything they're just developing. I think the risk of him not wanting anything serious (which is likely considering his behaviour, for now) and thinking I do and therefore it being weird/awkward between us is not worth me telling him. Also sometimes I'm just not sure whether it's me being so fond of him as a friend and him happening to be an attractive guy so I get confused between friendship and something more.

I don't think he sees me like a sibling, I just think we have that kind of relationship at the moment.
I kissed my guy best friend of 4 years at a party, he was completely drunk, I wasn't so bad. Then I realised I had had feelings for him for about 2 years, I just kept denying it even though all my friends said I was obvious I liked him because I kept talking about him. This was all about 8/9 months ago now. But anyway after a lot of discussion and neither of us willing to admit we liked each other for a while we did eventually date after a month or so, he admitted he'd liked me for quite a long time (I made him go shopping with me, like usual, only difference was I kissed him at the train station before I left and he kissed me back) After two months of dating he started to change, he started to ask me to do stuff I wasn't really comfortable with, I was 17 and he was my first boyfriend. So we broke up. Our friendship, as much as we both wanted it back, wasn't the same. He dated someone else, she cheated on him and somehow we got got back together, but he refused to trust me so I broke it off this time. It wasn't good for me. That was about 5 months ago now.

Now we're back to being best friends, but it took a long time and it hurt for a long time too. He has a new girlfriend and that's ok, I'm still single but I'm cool with that too. What I'm trying to say is think about the consequences, is your friendship strong enough to endure a break up if that should happen? I'm not saying it will but it's a 50/50 chance.
Reply 7
Original post by Sophiee_maii_
I kissed my guy best friend of 4 years at a party, he was completely drunk, I wasn't so bad. Then I realised I had had feelings for him for about 2 years, I just kept denying it even though all my friends said I was obvious I liked him because I kept talking about him. This was all about 8/9 months ago now. But anyway after a lot of discussion and neither of us willing to admit we liked each other for a while we did eventually date after a month or so, he admitted he'd liked me for quite a long time (I made him go shopping with me, like usual, only difference was I kissed him at the train station before I left and he kissed me back) After two months of dating he started to change, he started to ask me to do stuff I wasn't really comfortable with, I was 17 and he was my first boyfriend. So we broke up. Our friendship, as much as we both wanted it back, wasn't the same. He dated someone else, she cheated on him and somehow we got got back together, but he refused to trust me so I broke it off this time. It wasn't good for me. That was about 5 months ago now.

Now we're back to being best friends, but it took a long time and it hurt for a long time too. He has a new girlfriend and that's ok, I'm still single but I'm cool with that too. What I'm trying to say is think about the consequences, is your friendship strong enough to endure a break up if that should happen? I'm not saying it will but it's a 50/50 chance.

Thanks for your post :smile:

Honestly you never know what's going to happen, I guess you just have to make a decision in the moment and hope it pays off :smile:

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you :/ It doesn't sound like it was at all your fault and more incompatibility in the relationship, wanting different things.

I'm just scared of something like what you said happening... I'm also scared of letting myself have feelings for him and them not being reciprocated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending