How best to prepare for BMAT and UKCAT Watch

This discussion is closed.
EpiDoc
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Dear All,
I am an American student who hopes to apply for medical school in the UK. I have spent my early childhood in the UK and think it would a nice chance to spend more time. I heard about the UKCAT and BMAT. I was wondering if you can recommend to me how best to prepare for those tests. Also, how to choose the medical schools to apply for since we apply before knowing our score?

I would appreciate an advice on the schools that more likely to accept American students.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Gibber96
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by EpiDoc)
Dear All,
I am an American student who hopes to apply for medical school in the UK. I have spent my early childhood in the UK and think it would a nice chance to spend more time. I heard about the UKCAT and BMAT. I was wondering if you can recommend to me how best to prepare for those tests. Also, how to choose the medical schools to apply for since we apply before knowing our score?

I would appreciate an advice on the schools that more likely to accept American students.

Thanks in advance for your help.
You'll know your UKCAT score before you apply, so don't worry about that. The BMAT you won't know, but only a handful of medical schools use it, and you almost certainly won't apply to more than one BMAT uni anyway.

I did both, and did pretty well on the UKCAT and well-ish on the BMAT. Fpr the UKCAT, I bought the ISC 600Q book and the Kaplan book, did the online mocks a bunch of times and that was it. You can fork out cash for resources like Medify, but lots of people do fine without them.

For the BMAT, I'm not as well qualified to offer good advice, but you'll need to start preparing at least a couple of months before the exam, I'd dsay. I found the science section really hard because I don't take maths or physics and my GCSE maths was pretty unspectacular. The general aptitude section I did well on, it's a bit like the UKCAT really. The essay will be easy if you write well: I do two arts subjects and I knew how to craft an argument, so I found that easy.

Once you've got your UKCAT score you can start seriously thinking about where to apply (if you do very well look at Newcastle, Glasgow, HYMS etc). You might decide that you no longer want to sit the BMAT if your UKCAT goes very well; alternatively, you might decide that you can afford to have a go at the BMAT because you have such a good chance with the UKCAT unis.

Feel free to ask me any other stuff.
Refrigerator
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Before applying to any university, if you're applying as an international student, you should check how many international places they have. For example, Medicine at Oxford has 1 international place (they did when I applied anyway), whereas at Cambridge the number is around 20.

Preparing for UKCAT is just a matter of practice. As Gibber96 said, the ISC 600Q book is very good, although it's a tad more difficult than the actual exam.

BMAT is different, in that you have to brush up on your Science and Maths to do well in Section 2. The official website has loads of past papers available, so do all of them obviously. I'd recommend doing UKCAT before September, or early in September, so then you have around 2 months to prepare for BMAT which is more than enough.

Hope that helps!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1623)
79.13%
Leave (428)
20.87%

Watched Threads