ucl,kcl for phsyics but also which oneis betteracademically and socially Watch

This discussion is closed.
fabsuk
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
hi i need some help, i have applied to study physics with french at kcl and physics at ucl but im stuck. Ive discounted imperial as that is social suicide but i dont know what to do. Ucl has a much better physics department probably as it has more funding but kcl just seems like a cool place just not really for physics but socially i think it is quite cool with all those wealthy exchange students. ucl dont offer french with my course but kcl does.ucl has language classes but that would be in my spare time.I dont know what to do as they both gave me the same offer .any advice as i quite enjoy french but ucl seems very north london st johns wood,golders green.Help someone!!
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by fabsuk)
hi i need some help, i have applied to study physics with french at kcl and physics at ucl but im stuck. Ive discounted imperial as that is social suicide but i dont know what to do. Ucl has a much better physics department probably as it has more funding but kcl just seems like a cool place just not really for physics but socially i think it is quite cool with all those wealthy exchange students. ucl dont offer french with my course but kcl does.ucl has language classes but that would be in my spare time.I dont know what to do as they both gave me the same offer .any advice as i quite enjoy french but ucl seems very north london st johns wood,golders green.Help someone!!
i would say ucl as it seems to have a better reputation than kcl, although if you wanna do french that seems a disadvantage, as for the area i just love the bloomsbury type area.
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
UCL would be the most obvious choice for reputation. If you really want to do French then you should opt for KCL esp. if you think you'll regret going to UCL and not being able to do it. Socially - i loved both places and the location. UCL is compact everything is easy to reach, usually within walking distance. I think the best thing for you would be to consider which course you'll be happy with Physics/Physics with french - and also if you have not yet visited either places do so.
dazmanultra
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm at KCL doing Physics with Computer Science, so some might say i'm biased. I'm really loving KCL, coming up to the end of my first year now and i'm definitely glad I chose London and KCL over Manchester (my other clearing offer).

UCL and Kings are both in great locations, and you're going to have a great time in London wherever you go. I would say that UCL is better known for physics, but the money saved from the chemistry department closure at KCL is all going into the physics department (£5 million or so, IIRC).

If you have any questions about KCL or physics at KCL feel free to fire away!
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'd go for UCL. Would you really do language classes in your free time? I would, but I'd have enough to learn and I can think of more exciting things to do!
fabsuk
Okay dazman here are my questions. I get the impression that kcl is a great place although i think they call it the corridor. its seems cool with cool people,nice lecture theatres but the only problem i have is the physics department are the lectureres inspiring or not really.honestly as dr powell put me off but i liked prof davies. what sort of people does the physics department attract are they ic rejectss,ucl rejects or not as i could probably get into both but im looking for a fun time as well. do u mix with people outside your course, its not my imagination that there are lots of wealthy good looking european students at kcl is it and its much more public school than ucl. how many people are on the course and what is usually reasoning for going to kcl.All the answers would be very helpful.thanks
dazmanultra
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well i was quite surprised. There are only around 50 people in my year doing physics. IMO, this is a good thing. Big enough so that you can mix with different people, but small enough so that you do not feel embarassed to ask questions during a lecture.

There are wide range of people on the course... there are some that obviously put in work every day out of lectures, and there are those that turn up to just one or two lectures per week. A very wide range of abilities, too. Several people might get 95-100% on a class test, whereas a couple might get just 10%.

I would say my favourite course this year has been Classical Mechanics and Special Relativity. Very interesting stuff, taught by a funny french lecturer called Dr Jean Alexandre. Worst course? Perhaps lab ... it's boring (1st year lab anyway), but it is generally easy enough if you just do the work.

I've mixed with loads of people this year, but the only people you really meet outside your course will be in your accommodation to be honest. I'm friends with people studying pretty much every subject in my hall. Although I have to say, I thing the medicine and law women are generally the fittest and most intelligent.

Anyway, that's my opinion of KCL. I think it can be generally underrated by many people, however if you're going to go on league tables and reputation alone, then obviously UCL looks the better choice.
fabsuk
Thanks for your info, but i just want to know what u think i should do. i was even thinking of going to imperial remember but i dont think i can handle the 3rd year courses, its not what i want but imperial has a name but i dont like the high male to female ratio when i have been at a single sexed boarding school for 5 years.

also im not going to be staying at halls, as i live in london and i know it pretty well,all the nice areas,etc..so basically will i short change myself by going to kcl or not,will i like it and what are people who do physics like at kcl(usually when i go to physics departments the few women i do see look like men,u cant tell)If u had the chance to go back in time and either go to a university u wanted to go to or go to kcl knowing what it was like what would u choose.Also the money they are pumping into the department,will it make physics department more reknowned and will the department be staying the strand campus. Also what schools are people generally from state or independent.also do u know any people who went to ucl.thanks
dazmanultra
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well the people I've met on my physics course are mostly from state schools. However, in my halls, a fair proportion were privately educated.

In all honesty I chose KCL on the flip of a coin, it was either Manchester or KCL...

I'm extremely happy I chose KCL. I'm loving living in London and I have some great friends here now and I really can't imagine not knowing these people these days... i'd really really miss some of them!

Men and women: there are very few girls on my course, i think that's to be expected in physics though. I tend to mix a lot with female friends from other subjects in my hall... you're not going to get that opportunity by living at home though; whether you go to UCL or KCL.

Like I said, I don't know much about UCL apart from based on the league tables alone, it would seem better than KCL...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (8)
61.54%
No (3)
23.08%
I'm not old enough (2)
15.38%

Watched Threads