The Student Room Group

Oxidation of Triose Phosphate during Glycolysis

Hi,

Just a quick one, in my revision guide it says 2H+ are accepted by NAD to form NADH, however in the textbook it doesn't specify and just says 2H.

Is there a definite answer, are they interchangeable or am I being stupid?
Reply 1
Original post by Squeagle
Hi,

Just a quick one, in my revision guide it says 2H+ are accepted by NAD to form NADH, however in the textbook it doesn't specify and just says 2H.

Is there a definite answer, are they interchangeable or am I being stupid?

they're both the same, right?
what's your question?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
they are interchangeable, it can either be reduced by 2 hydrogen atoms or 2 hydride ions with 2 electrons. Whenever I wrote it down as an answer though, I always put 2H. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by jenigma
they're both the same, right?
what's your question?

they're not quite the same,
2H = 2 covalently bonded H atoms (H-subscript2)
2H+ = 2 hydrogen ions
Original post by gapyearstudent

Not necessarily, 2H could refer to 2 hydrogen radicals, surely?
Reply 5
Original post by spleenharvester
Not necessarily, 2H could refer to 2 hydrogen radicals, surely?

but then wouldn't it show the radical symbol (don't know what it's called) when referring to radicals? otherwise you would assume it was referring to Hydrogen gas if it was quoted as 2H without any symbols or charges :s-smilie:
In the case of co-enzymes like NAD you would automatically make the assumption that H and H+ are interchangeable.

In a different topic in Chemistry (this is biochem btw), H and H+ would NOT be interchangeable.
If you said that 2H and H2 are the same thing, then that's incorrect.

H2 is the gaseous hydrogen (molecular) and 2H is basically two seperate hydrogen atoms
Reply 8
Original post by James A
If you said that 2H and H2 are the same thing, then that's incorrect.

H2 is the gaseous hydrogen (molecular) and 2H is basically two seperate hydrogen atoms

ahh I see, that's where I was getting confused, I was thinking that if there were 2 hydrogen atoms, they would automatically covalently bond but they would need to be ions to do that wouldnt they?
ahh I see, that's where I was getting confused, I was thinking that if there were 2 hydrogen atoms, they would automatically covalently bond but they would need to be ions to do that wouldnt they?

I see where you're coming from with that!

Think of my example above as stoichiometry.

Oh yeah and something like

Look at the second reaction. My example is similar in the sense that you have 2 moles of Hydrogen. In the picture you have 2 moles of Aluminium, however you wouldn't assume they are covalently bonded together because of the 2Al though. Same could be said for the 3 Cu on the other side. All we are indicating is that there are 3 moles of it present and not 3 atoms of it covalently bonded together!

:yy:
Reply 10
Thanks for clearing this up guys! :smile: So in an exam if I were to write NAD accepts H+ ions or H atoms I should be fine, right?
they're not quite the same,
2H+ = 2 hydrogen ions

thank you for clearing that up!! (':

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending